Cleaning my engine. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cleaning my engine.

I just want to give it that fresh, clean look, and clean off the dirt and water mark.

i heard the engine needs to be running but i dont know what to use and what to avoid.

would a-pre-she-ate the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have done it at a car wash with the motor running with no problems, just don't spray it directly in the intake. For a more intense clean I think that detail shops use steam.

spray down a warm engine with simple green let it soak until the engine is cool and hose it off.
Get a brush for the little nooks and crannies.

pretty simple.

I clean mine with spray degreaser or engine clear, then to make it shine i use a tire cleaner foam, like armor all or turtle wax, for the small places a little brush.

It makes it look better than factory.

i work at a truck wash part time, and i wash it every once and a while, i use 1500PSI wands with hot water and i usually soap the motor before, it is usually running. only thin i would recommend is to stay away from the big clusters of electronics and wires.

Theres a product called pig spit that is for the black on harley engines. I've used it on my engine cause it makes it shine like new but doesn't leave the oily residue like armor all or some of the other cleaners do. You can find it at most harley shops or I can ship it to anyone...

I too have used Pig Spit ( for years ); its good stuff.

You can get it at a local bike(er) shop.

Back