Console Vault for Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Console Vault for Explorer

ming48

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer
Anyone install a Console Vault in the center console of a 2014 Explorer? I've read on the net that you use the existing bolts in the console to install the vault, but I don't see a way to access any bolts. The floor portion of the console doesn't seem to be removable to access mounting holes. Am I missing something here?

P.S. first post for me. Just bought a 2014 Explorer (my second Explorer) a week ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone install a Console Vault in the center console of a 2014 Explorer? I've read on the net that you use the existing bolts in the console to install the vault, but I don't see a way to access any bolts. The floor portion of the console doesn't seem to be removable to access mounting holes. Am I missing something here?

P.S. first post for me. Just bought a 2014 Explorer (my second Explorer) a week ago.

The info on the installation on the web is inaccurate. I called ConsoleVault and spoke ot them before ordering one for the 2015 I have on order. The vault you will get has a hinge at the back that allows the rear wall to fold into the center from the bottom. Once it slips into the console you fold the rear wall back to the rear which locks the vault into the console and insert two bolts they provide into the movable back.

I have not figured out how to post pictures here as yet or would post a couple for all to see.

If you want to PM me with an email address I'll send you a couple.

Wily

There is also a hard locking box for the rear of the vehicles, for those who do not have the rear airconditioning. Its an Interceptor item, and will require a new driver-side cargo trim piece along with the box

I'll probably posting pictures this weekend. I have the console vault in my 2014 Sport. They provide you with self drilling screws that will screw into the inner plastic on the center console. Very easy to install, you just have to remove the coin holder thingie in there.

Console Vault (http://www.consolevault.com/) for my 2014 Explorer just arrived. I'm very pleased with it. It's pretty heavy duty (more so than I expected) and well made (in the USA). Installation took minutes. It's not cheap, but the piece of mind it will give me makes it worthwhile to me. Thanks to those posters who provided info!

.........I have not figured out how to post pictures here as yet or would post a couple for all to see.....

Wily
If you take out a $20 membership you will be able to post pictures directly from your computer etc. and you will help to support this site. Otherwise, there are threads in the 'New Members Introductions' forum that explain how to post pictures.

Peter

Thought about purchasing one for my 2014 Sport, but not sure how practical it would be. For those of you with the console vault, are you actually storing valuables in there? Peace of mind in case the need arises at some point in the future? Need a way to justify to the wife! ;)

Thought about purchasing one for my 2014 Sport, but not sure how practical it would be. For those of you with the console vault, are you actually storing valuables in there? Peace of mind in case the need arises at some point in the future? Need a way to justify to the wife! ;)

I use it for a secure place to secure my handgun when I go places I don't want to carry it into.

Just make sure you don't try and cross into Canada with the handgun. It will be confiscated. It is something some of our U.S. visitors forget about. ;)

Peter

Just make sure you don't try and cross into Canada with the handgun. It will be confiscated. It is something some of our U.S. visitors forget about. ;)

Peter

Since it's a 4-5 hour drive to the border I'm not too concerned about that happening accidently.

I have an inspection business and in my current vehicle I have a small gun safe in the rear I lock my wallet, cell phone keys etc when I go under homes and in attics. When I go to the remote mountain top sites I carry my 9mm.

A friend has an Excursion with the console vault installed and I really like how it fits etc. I said when I ordered my Explorer I was going to install one immediately. The console vault is sitting here waiting for my Explorer to be delivered. The CV I ordered came with the 4 digit combo lock.

Willy

I received my console vault for my 2015 Sport and installed it last night.

Couple of things to note to make things a little bit easier for others out there...

The instructions say that a 10mm socket will be needed for the self tapping screws that screw into the inner sides of the console when the console vault is in place. That would be good info to have except for the fact that they're 11mm screws. Minor issue because if you have a 10mm socket you'll likely have an 11mm as well.

Keep in mind that the plastic that the self tapping screws has to screw into is very sturdy and fairly thick plastic. And you have to hold the ratchet down in the vault a few inches while also trying to apply enough pressure for the screws to bite into the plastic and pierce it. Very difficult to do when it's cold out (it was around 15F when I was installing it last night) and when you have a bum arm that doesn't quite have the strength that you used to have even 5 years ago. I found it much easier to accomplish by using the screws to make the little notches and use those to drill pilot holes with my cordless drill. Re-insert the console vault and try the self tapping screws again and they went in a whole lot easier.

Just thought I would point these couple of things out to anyone who buys a console vault for their 2011+ Explorer. Should make installation a bit smoother.

I did a quick search and found this existing thread to which I have moved yours.

Peter

Awesome. Thanks Peter. This was my second upgrade back in February and I don't regret it. It's for my wife since she carries and she keeps her gun in that safe while at work.

I installed a Console Vault the day I took delivery of my 2015 XLT. The one thing I DID have to do was go buy 1 1/2" bolts. The ones that came with it were too short. It cost me a trip to the hardware store, and maybe $2.00. I called Console Vault and they offered to reimburse me back, but I declined simply because it wasn't worth the hassle. I just informed the owner that he might want to include longer bolts. It was easy as pie to install. The only gripe I have is that it significantly reduces the storage space because the lid is pretty tight. I have large hands, and can barely get one in the opening. I store a Glock 23, 8 full magazines, and 200 rds of .40 S&W. You know...just in case.

I'd love to find a nice box for the back to hold a few AR15s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed a Console Vault the day I took delivery of my 2015 XLT. The one thing I DID have to do was go buy 1 1/2" bolts. The ones that came with it were too short. It cost me a trip to the hardware store, and maybe $2.00. I called Console Vault and they offered to reimburse me back, but I declined simply because it wasn't worth the hassle. I just informed the owner that he might want to include longer bolts. It was easy as pie to install. The only gripe I have is that it significantly reduces the storage space because the lid is pretty tight. I have large hands, and can barely get one in the opening. I store a Glock 23, 8 full magazines, and 200 rds of .40 S&W. You know...just in case.

I'd love to find a nice box for the back to hold a few AR15s.

Do you know where you found the bolts? I can't find any that are the same thread.

Back