• Register Today It's free!

Custom hvac control panel/overlay

Kjhadfield

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac 4wd
This thread is more of a customer review of a company I had dealings with recently.

The company… whitegauges.net

The stock hvac control panel
DB8C8DBB-DAD4-48D4-B58D-062CB07445F0_zpsox9htpkh.jpg

I wanted it to match the instrument panel. I got the idea from a fellow member here and was given a link to eBay to purchase one, although it referenced a different vehicle it was a match for the 1st gen sport trac. I received within a few days and found sometime to get to work and with everything apart and prepped about to lay down the overlay when I noticed differences. The far right, we have a circle for off and the overlay spelled off. The far left had dots to indicate our 1/2/3/4 speed settings. In daylight it wouldn't matter and would look good but at night the illumination wouldn't match up and my OCD went overdrive. I figured I was out of luck and was taking my time to try and see if the seller and I could work it out. Before I had a chance I received an email from the seller asking if I was pleased with the purchase. I explained everything and was given 2 options… return for refund or send mine in and they would render 1 and install ( I pay shipping). I took door 2, and it took months to finally send it in (lack of time and unsure of removal). I sent it in and it seemed to be less than a work week to have it in my hands again. AND the return shipping was on the house!
894DE1B6-59F7-4AA3-B2F3-7A2E31425C81_zpsvqfhmb8k.jpg

I haven't installed yet but as you can see the markings all match to that of stock. I held it up to a light and the illumination looked great, I can't wait for it to go in.

Whitegauges, you get a thumbs up for customer service and quality! Thank you, Kyle

Installed photos coming later…

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

speedhut.com is good to. i have had mine for 7 or so years and everything still works great (thats the gauge cluster i am talking about for mine)

speedhut.com is good to. i have had mine for 7 or so years and everything still works great (thats the gauge cluster i am talking about for mine)

The stock gauge cluster is already white and I wanted the stock grayish heater control to match the gauges.

I will eventually paint the radio bezel, instrument cluster bezel, and upper center console piece a trim black. Was thinking of adding the door "oh ****" handles or are they just called handles used to close the door when inside. Stock those pieces are the same light grayish type color…that has to go!

I finally installed the heater control panel and added led lights since I already had it apart. The alignment is spot on and looks great at night. The picture shows the light, in spots, to have a whitish hue but it isn't like that in person.

6CB0E625-2E84-49CD-943D-FC63CBC651BE_zpswnuumezr.jpg

Looks sharp! Very cool of them to do the custom one for you. Do you by chance still have the first one they sent, and want to get rid of it?

Looks sharp! Very cool of them to do the custom one for you. Do you by chance still have the first one they sent, and want to get rid of it?

Thanks, whitegauges was your referral so thank you. No I don't have the 1st purchased one, I sent that along with my panel.

Since they rendered mine, they now have an exact match for our gen1 sport tracs for sale

No problem! I'll check that out as I'd like another for my new '05 ST. Did they peel off the oem overlay before putting on the white one? Just curious because that's how I did my first one, figured more light would show through that way.

Edit: Just looked at their ebay store and website and did not see this ST one listed yet.

No problem! I'll check that out as I'd like another for my new '05 ST. Did they peel off the oem overlay before putting on the white one? Just curious because that's how I did my first one, figured more light would show through that way.

Edit: Just looked at their ebay store and website and did not see this ST one listed yet.

I don't think they took off the oem overlay, looks to be on top. I never thought of peeling the oem off. With the sport trac specific you wouldn't need to peel oem off just line it up.

Not sure why it's not listed yet, go to their website and email them or call to find/order

Since yours is an 05, could you post a phote of your stock overlay. Curious if there were changes since 02

My stock overlay looks exactly the same as your stock one.

The 2 differences from my original order and our stock (now even the new render since it's a match) were the numbers were just dots ranging in small to large (indicating speed) and the 0 or the O for off was the word off. I thought the instructions suggested to lay on top of stock which is why I didn't install because at night it wouldn't light up right. Since you took yours off last time, that would be why you probably didn't have that issue because nothing was blocking the light from the stock images.

I have to say I have briefly driven at night the past couple nights and enjoy it every time. I put led lights in as well and the brightness and sharp color looks good. It makes the dim instrument panel lights stand out, I do have 2 burnt out lights which wouldn't help. I'll have to swap them out sooner than later, that and start working on my radio bezel swap. I'm still trying to figure out what's the best way to strip the original paint (it's the peeling variety)

Kyle, which LED's did you use to retain the green backlighting in your pic above? Whitegauges.net offers #194 four point and high power LED's in different colors. I may have been too anxious installing my overlay during the day and misaligned the decal. Strange thing is all my marks appear aligned, yet ALL the fan speed numbers, A/C, and MAX A/C are spotty and the number 1 is completely gone. I'm thinking it's just weak stock incandescent lamps, or maybe peel it off and order another $14 overlay. TIA for any help, and yes I'm OCD like you and koda2000. LOL

http://www.whitegauges.net/categories/Dash-Illumination-Parts/LED-Bulb-Lighting/

Kjhadfield was last seen: April 16, 2016

EDIT- Didn't realize Kjhadfied has been MIA that long. Advice from ANYONE greatly appreciated.

Instructions say install the decal in the dark for a reason. If it isn't COMPLETELY dark you will never get perfect alignment of the symbols. Highly recommend lightly spraying the adhesive with Windex for ease of movement. It will be a perfect bond after air bubbles are removed.

DSC06598.jpg

DSC06587.jpg

Kyle, which LED's did you use to retain the green backlighting in your pic above? Whitegauges.net offers #194 four point and high power LED's in different colors. I may have been too anxious installing my overlay during the day and misaligned the decal. Strange thing is all my marks appear aligned, yet ALL the fan speed numbers, A/C, and MAX A/C are spotty and the number 1 is completely gone. I'm thinking it's just weak stock incandescent lamps, or maybe peel it off and order another $14 overlay. TIA for any help, and yes I'm OCD like you and koda2000. LOL

http://www.whitegauges.net/categories/Dash-Illumination-Parts/LED-Bulb-Lighting/

Kjhadfield was last seen: April 16, 2016

EDIT- Didn't realize Kjhadfied has been MIA that long. Advice from ANYONE greatly appreciated.

DSC06598.jpg

DSC06587.jpg

Steve, I had mine a bit misaligned at first and was able to pull it back off to reset it. It came off pretty easily. Maybe warm it with a hair drier if it fights you.

I have a HVAC bulb out and have some 194 type LED's I'd bought (like a dozen of them for $1.60 from China) I may try them as even with new regular bulbs the brightness could use improvement.

Thanks Phil. Think it's an alignment problem and not weak factory lamps? Puzzling because MOST of the symbols line up perfectly when lit. :banghead:

Done. After reading American Muscle (Mustang) reviews, and not following Koda's wise advice, I removed the grey factory decal. FAIL. Looking at Kyle's pic with #194 white LED lamps I thought it looked nice but was almost a distraction being too bright, and didn't match the darker lighting on the radio. First pic is the grey factory decal removed. Third pic shows the white decal with green painted over the symbols. Unless the paint is applied PERFECTLY don't attempt this. Fourth pic shows the final result after correcting my botched work. Save time and lot's of aggravation by following the provided instructions that came with the white decal.

DSC06600.jpg

DSC06613.jpg

DSC06626.jpg

After tediously removing the green paint off the back of the white decal with Q-Tips and acetone, I lightly sprayed the white decal adhesive with Windex to ease alignment and applied the white decal over the reused grey factory decal. Finally achieved the end result I was looking for shown in the pic below. There's a reason Whitegauges.com does NOT mention removing the grey factory decal. Lesson learned once again.

DSC06652.jpg

Having opened the non returnable and expensive Sylvania Zevo 194 LED package thought I'd put it to use and installed it in the front courtesy light. Comparison shows white LED vs. stock 168 incandescent. I'll install the other LED in the rear and likely replace the four remaining map lamps with white 6000K (168/194) LED's in the future.

DSC06650.jpg

So there are bulbs that can be replaced for the HVAC controls, mine are all out now?

So there are bulbs that can be replaced for the HVAC controls, mine are all out now?

Yes, there are 2 bulbs (assuming the '03 HVAC panel looks the same as the '01-'02). You need to remove, or at least pull out the radio and bezel to be able to remove the 4 screws that hold the HVAC panel in, then the 2 bulbs twist out and IIRC you reuse the black plastic base with new #194 bulbs. I think you can replace the bulbs w/out taking the HVAC panel loose, but it's more difficult.

To take the radio bezel loose there are 2 screws above the HVAC control panel and 2 push-in clips in the upper corners of the bezel. The radio will slide forward with the bezel. Sliding the bezel out will give you enough room to unscrew the HVAC panel, but just barely.

Back