Damn Engine light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sanjez5

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4X4 SOHC
First off let me say thank you all for simply lending your knowledge and support. Now for the meat of it, I have a 98 SOHC 4x4 thats on its third motor (everything else just keeps going so why not) any how last motor got a bad knock but still ran great but nsince I had another motor laying around from a all around same explorer with a blown tranny I just opted to swap out the motors rather then trouble shoot that issue. Got the other motor in and it ran rough like an air leak so I ran through all the hoses checking for anything out of the norm and for the heck of it changed out and sealed up the upper air intake and everything attached, changed out spark plugs and wires. Still rough and here are the codes p0303,p1132, and p1151. I don't want to jump ahead of myself (like normal) so I am asking you all what you think. Like I said I have three motors and all the parts along with another explorer in the drive for parts so I have what I need well all but the time to just guess. Thanks again. Oh if it helps I was told that you can see sparks coming out the exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am thinking maybe replacing the lower air intake as well. I am also no wondering if maybe when we where putting the motor in if we didn't maybe get the upstream sensors backwards when we plugged them in, thoughts? I may be thinking to much into it but if I had an air leak that was causing a lean condition the PCM would try to correct it but if i have the O2 wire harnesses switched by chance it would add more fuel to the wrong side....Right?

O2 sensor heaters

P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P1132 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1
P1151 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2

If you disconnect the electrical connector to the O2 sensor on the driver side the PCM should set P0155 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1). If the PCM sets P0135 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) then you have them swapped.

Thanks, I will give that a try and see how it goes. If I have them right then on to the lower air intake, EGR, and PVC I guess.

i have the O2 wire harnesses switched by chance it would add more fuel to the wrong side....Right?

Been there, done that - having them plugged in wrong makes the truck VERY unhappy - P11xx codes are exactly what I had.

I really do thank you guys for the comments, im getting married tomorrow so I can't play with what you have recommended yet but I hope to get to it ASAP and will let you all know how it plays out. Last night I verified that the coil pack was good along with (forgive me for not knowing the correct name) the unit checking the exhaust pressure just before the egr valve so there are two other items I can rule out. I checked them but simply swapping them out with known good parts with no change in codes or idle. (Might add I got into trouble for getting my hands dirty and scratched up, Pictures she says wedding pictures) lol. Thanks again guys.

I really do thank you guys for the comments, im getting married tomorrow so I can't play with what you have recommended yet but I hope to get to it ASAP and will let you all know how it plays out.

C'mon man, get your priorities straight.

You can get married any time, but your truck is sick and needs you now!

LOL.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Guys sorry for the long delay, It was indeed that I had the O2 sensors plugged in backwards. Again thank you for all the help. The wedding went great by the way and so far she still enjoys being with me lol. Thanks again.

Good to hear. I always fixed my check engine light problems by pulling the check engine light bulb. It worked every time.

I've thought about it. The airbags light really has me thinking about it. Something about the impact sensor on the driverside I think. Another day I guess now I think I need to replace my hubs again lol.

Back