• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood modifications!

Cneagle06

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
Has anyone tried to put an 04+ F150 hood onto the 02-05 explorer? I am modifying my black 05 explorer xlt to give it a saleen look but its become a little tricky because lets admit it there is not a whole lot of aftermarket or market stylish body kits or hoods... so far ive added the red saleen fader decals on the sides taken off all side badges and installed the s331 saleen fender vents. I have ordered the s331 badges but I am having trouble thinking of how else to give my ex this unique look. all suggestions considered! please help! I really want the F150 saleen hood but i am sure this is not an option... thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a MIG welder, a grinder (or a plasma cutter if you want to get fancy) and graft that F150 hood on.

haha that is great i say just find a scoop that is close to it or make it your own saleen explorer

F150 hood

Does anyone out there have one of the 04+ f150s that could please measure your hood and give me the specs?

If some one could help me with that it would be great! I wanna see how much I am getting myself into thinking about cutting it...

Post up some pics of the ride.

Getting an S331 is NOT cheap. Another way to do the S331 hood is to a 2010 GT500 hood insert. Kind of a mini version of a S331. I saw a lightning that had it done and it didn't look to bad. Also, not that it matters a whole lot, but if you have a 4.6 then why not S281 badges instead of the 5.4 S331 badges?

Edit-Found the pics I was talking about;)
002pvu.jpg

003-2.jpg

watchoo need/ length and width? - I have an 05

Dang I didnt know the grille was built into the hood that sux for me... May try a few other suggestions listed thanks anyway.... I may go with the S281 badges.. I really wish saleen still produced the XP8 badges and that is what I would have

Limited02!!!

I FREAKING LOVE THAT INSERT MAN!!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE SUGGESTION! I am PUMPED I WILL POST PIX OF THE FINISHED PROJECT!!! BTW any Suggestions for a Custom Grille With that classic black saleen look? Thought about doing a cheap billet grille and painting it flat black with a krylon texture paint, then just adding a Saleen grille badge in the corner. Thank you guys so much for your help! WHERE CAN I BUY THAT INSERT? I LOOKED EVERYWHERE

;)No problem. Grill idea sounds good. Make sure you do a lower as well.

My first guess is that you can swing by Ford and asked if they sell one. It's a hood vent from a 2010 Mustang Shelby GT500.

I will do some looking around and see if I can find anything. Now get some pics up so we can see what you are working with;)

oh dear god

I'm hoping that's a good thing? If not of well I like it... Lol that's why I did it... Ordering s281 badges and saleen grille and emblem... And checked on prices of the actual 4.6 saleen supercharger... Possible upgrade when I have the cash... Next big change will b the hood

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hood could turn out cool, but the fake saleen crap isn't impressing anyone.

Like I said I wasn't meant to impress anyone... If the only reason I did things was to impress people that would be pretty stupid... I I'd it because I like the fader style stripes and saleen vents... I can't afford to buy one buy I can make my own version and that's what I'm doing so... To reitterate I did these mods because I wanted to and because I like the way they look not to impress people. So if u like it great... If not no sweat cause it ain't yours it's mine

Back