explorer vs early bronco

bippy93

Reaction score
City, State
Bradley,Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 limited
If given a choice would you rather go off road with an explorer
or and early bronco????? Trying to decide which 1 to keep.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both of them stock?? If so, Early Bronco

If you have both the choice should be simple drive them both and decide.

Sploder: better on road, longer wheel base, power steering, power brakes (though those can be added), more creature comforts, better fuel economy (yes believe it)

on the trail: sometimes the longer wheelbase is nice, EFI already no starving carb

EB: road, does ok, bare bones truck, can be a smooth ride, short wheelbase makes it "interesting", convertable!, gets great looks(of course so does an explorer on 35s), not really a family vehicle

on the trail: where to begin! sometimes the short wheelbase is nice, better t-case, tranny, engine combo, solid axles, ease of twin sticking, cheaper to mod for offroad than the sploder, parts are everywhere, stronger parts in general (comparing stock to stock).

I have had both, recently sold a very well built explorer if I do say so myself. In its day it was a better ride for a dd weekend warrier trail rig deal, And built up it was better on the trail than my current EB. however, the EB with crappy ATs, no lockers, and relatively no lift right now holds its own much better than a stock sploder ever would.

Parts are easier to come by along with information (face it mods are less extreme so there are more people that have done them on an EB). EB is easier to work on, and has SOOOOO much more potential on the trail than the sploder for a lot less work and money.

Stock i'd go with the eb...modified, i guess it all depends

cp

Started out looking for solid axle for an upcoming SAS on my 1997 Eddie Bauer, and came across an entire 68 Bronco. So now my dilema is SAS the X or buy and build-up the EB. Not really such an easy decision...

I've already invested a decent amount into the X with a 4" Superlift, Powertrax No-Slip, 285/75 SSRs, All Pro Rock Sliders and a recently ordered Tom's Doublers. It's got a ton of creature comforts, electronic fuel-injected 210 HP motor, is very reliable and already does surprisingly well on the trails. The X will be REE-GD-DICULOUS with a doubler, SAS and 36s... Plus, slowly but surely, more and more aftermarket parts are becoming available for the Explorers. IMHO, the X would be the better all around rig all built-up... longer wheelbase, more interior room, more reliable, better security for the stuff inside. And even though it's not a convertable, an SASed X on 36s still has a kick-arse coolness factor!

EB thouhts must wait till later...gotta run...

Ok, I'm back, but this thread has been busy... most of this has already been covered, but just to finish my thoughts:

Early Bronco has undeniable coolness factor and capability, but there are too many downsides. Like the stock Dana 30 and three-speed trans, lack of disc brakes and power steering, lack of fuel injection, need for a lift kit wheels and tires, need for lockers... and the inevitable [frame off] body resotoration.

I'm sticking with the X.

^^Both sound awesome, but I'd keep the X. You could probably make a pretty good amount of $$ off the Superlift and then you could have the interior room and other things you mentioned. Plus you could get a high pinion 44 instead of the low pinion 44 in the EB (I'd be happy to have either of the axles :D)

97XEB said:
Started out looking for solid axle for an upcoming SAS on my 1997 Eddie Bauer, and came across an entire 68 Bronco. So now my dilema is SAS the X or buy and build-up the EB. Not really such an easy decision....
Unless it was in great shape, pass on it. And the front D30 is a horrible choice for a SAS candidate.

Oh, and EB.

Robb said:
Unless it was in great shape, pass on it. And the front D30 is a horrible choice for a SAS candidate.
I thought that the Early Bronco had a LP D44, not a D30????

Depends on the year. Originally they came with a 30, then I think mid 69 or 70 they switched. Then it went disc brake in 76.

As for aftermarket on the sploder, thats wishfull thinking and if you SAS it the only after market support you will have depends on the axle you used. If your daily driving this vehicle don't do either, keep the sploder with the superlift it will ride much better. Or go with the EB and not have to spend a year working out SAS bugs on a truck that needs to be dependable. The EB is fun to drive. Top comes off, doors come off and it just plane sounds mean. But your right there are no creature comforts other than a heater.

Wheel base is a toss up too. I used to think my sport wheelbase was the greatest. Then I got the bronco. They both have advantages and disadvantages. The EB with smaller tires will clear stuff the spolder wouldn't without rubbing the rockers, but some obsticles are nicer to have a longer wheel base so you get less weight transfer and extreme angles.

Either way it comes down to preference. Yes I miss my exploder. But, the EB is SOOOOO much easier to work on and find parts for and I enjoy it more for what I want it for. But its not something for road trips with the wife.

Robb said:
And the front D30 is a horrible choice for a SAS candidate.

Yup locked with 35s and it will break easy. Of course so do stock EB shafts with 297 u-joints but you can easily cutdown a full size shaft for the EB and beef it up.

Can't deny the charactor of the EB, fix it up and make some money on the EB. They have a cult following.

Back