Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

failed smog, running rich, code 14, electronic control assembly, or o2 sensor?

Discussion in 'Computers, Chips & Tuning' started by nothinbutroad, August 4, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. nothinbutroad

nothinbutroad New Member

City, State:
    Grand Terrace
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1991 ford explorer
    So I have a 91 Explorer that just failed smog because it was running rich. about 7 years ago I had the same problem, I changed out several sensors on the truck, and the 1 that finally passed it was the O2 sensor.

This time around I ran my scanner on it, KEY ON ENGINE OFF I got a code 14 the electronic control assembly "has detected an intermittent loss of profile ignition pick up signal during recent operation" and during the KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING test i got a code 11 which is system pass.

Can the ECA/ECM make the vehicle run rich? or does it send a signal saying its running rich? or does it send a signal to the 02 sensor making it run rich, or making it read that it is running rich?

should I simply replace the ECA/ECM since that is the only code given?

since the O2 sensor was the problem last time should I replace that? or since both could be the issue should I just replace both?

why would the car run rich and fail smog but get a passing code with the engine running? shouldn't it give a code that it is running rich?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.