Front end knock/thud when turning and accelerating? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end knock/thud when turning and accelerating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgrubbe

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I have been driving my explorer for about 2 years now, but it has been in my family (My dad drove it) since 1998. Other than some small issues like replacing tires and a couple other things, I haven't had much trouble. Recently, I have been hearing a knock/thud noise from the front end when I turn and sometimes when I accelerate. This happens at low to medium speeds and it also does it when I go over bumps. And it also makes a clank/knock sound when slowing down. I don't know how to explain it any better, but if you need any more details I will try my best to provide them. And it says it under my username, but it is a 1996 5.0L AWD model. I have been looking things up but there are so many different things it could be I am starting to get pretty worried. :(

Thanks in advance for any help ;)

EDIT:
I also should mention that the torsion bars in the front have been adjusted to add about an extra inch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

possibilities include:

1. loose/missing shock bushings
2. loose/broken sway bar end-links and/or bushings
3. front drive shaft problems
4. worn ball joints

possibilities include:

1. loose/missing shock bushings
2. loose/broken sway bar end-links and/or bushings
3. front drive shaft problems
4. worn ball joints

Exactly what Koda said, but I'd add tie rods to the list. My tie rods pop when accelerating around a turn. Then again, they are the original ones.

Thanks for the replies, but I have looked at it and a mechanic has looked at it also, tie rods and ends are good, everything with the sway bars are good, and the ball joints are fine. So I'm hoping it isn't the drive shaft but its always possible, and also, I noticed it makes a clank sound when slowing down around the time it shifts.

And one other thing to mention, this all started happening after playing around in some foot and a half deep mud. Although I didn't go too fast through it. But I'm sure it has something to do with it.

Alright, So I have a more specific description, now I am able to tell it is about halfway between a click and a thud sound, and I can feel it at my feet but I cannot feel it in the steering wheel. And it only happens when turning, or accelerating while going over a bump in the road. I have a coupon for a free "inspection" from Firestone and I am having it done at 8:00am tomorrow. I know these shops tend to be a bit bias because they want your business, but for free I figured it is worth a try, because it is mostly a suspension check.

Alright, So I have a more specific description, now I am able to tell it is about halfway between a click and a thud sound, and I can feel it at my feet but I cannot feel it in the steering wheel. And it only happens when turning, or accelerating while going over a bump in the road. I have a coupon for a free "inspection" from Firestone and I am having it done at 8:00am tomorrow. I know these shops tend to be a bit bias because they want your business, but for free I figured it is worth a try, because it is mostly a suspension check.

cv joint/axle. if it clicks when turning. usually don't make noise while going straight.

Could be a CV not liking the new angle put on it by the tortion twist height adjustment.

It is not the CV's, and all of the other suspension components are good, the clicking was my front sway bar hitting the frame because the bushings were old and bad, I replaced those and that is gone but I cant figure out the clunk/thud sound now. It almost sounds
like its from near the transmission.

Remove the front drive shaft to see if the noise goes away. While the drive shaft is off, carefully inspect it. You cannot inspect it installed in the truck

Be careful to use the emergency brake with the front drive shaft removed, as some trucks will roll in park without it. Be sure thenrear wheels are chocked to prevent movement while the front is raised for this.

Tug, pull and rotate the ends of the drive shaft, and look closely for tears in the small rubber boot at the TC end. There should be no play at all.

If the clunk goes away with no front shaft, there is a problem in the transfer case or the drive shaft.

A clunk on light acceleration or when slowing down can be the slip yoke splines on the main driveshaft need cleaned and regreased. Google TSB 04-23-7. It's for a ranger but also applies to an Explorer. I had the same problem. Easy job but you need a special Ford blue teflon grease to do it properly. I used Valvoline semi-synthetic Durablend which has worked fine for the past two years.

Well, After cleaning the underside of my explorer to get rid of the dirt, the problem has slowly gone away, to the point that it rarely occurred and wasn't nearly as bad, and now, it is to the point that I haven't had it happen for over week. Now I am on to replace the tie rod ends.

EDIT: It has been a while since all this happened, but as a note to anyone reading this thread in the future, it ended up being that my sway bar to frame mounts were loose and they had been making the clunk the whole time. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the rapidly changing weather at the time going from hot to cold making the metal shrink and expand. That may be far off but it went away when it got cold and got bad when it was hot. But since then I have tightened the bolts and it hasn't happened since. Hopefully this can save someone some major time in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back