Front wheel grinding/power loss

Long Island OZ

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Shore, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Fore Explorer Sport
Hello!

Okay bear with me, it's a long story. I have a 1998 Ford Explorer sport 4.0 4x4 that I have been to hell and back with. Until recently I've had no money to do any maintenance besides brake pads and oil. Needless to say I have a laundry list of things that I am going to repair now because I refuse to give up my baby like everyone wants me to do.

I just replaced the inner/outer tie rod, upper control arm, lower ball joint, and hub bearing assembly on my passenger side. I had to replace the passenger side upper control arm because it went bad even though I had just changed both sides this past summer.

Prior to changing all this, my passenger side hub was grinding due to the bad upper control arm and lower ball joint being so bad. The first day I drove it after changing all the passenger side parts it seemed fine. I mean other than it being out of alignment there was no more play in the steering wheel and the grinding was gone. I still have to do the driver's side. In the next few days of driving it, it seems like there is grinding and it feels like there is friction coming from the front wheels which is holding me back. My truck seems super sluggish. My brakes were fine other than some slight ridges in one pad which I switched to the other side of the rotor.

So my question is this. Is it possible that my driver's side hub is suddenly and quickly going bad due to the recent repairs to the passenger side? :scratch:
I will have my answer soon enough when I do the driver's side this weekend, but I just wanted to get ahead of the game in case I run into anything unexpected.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, I see no one has replied but I'll give an update anyway.

I changed my driver's side inner/outer tie rod and lower ball joint. I did not change the upper control arm on this side because it was still good (just changed this past summer) and I didn't change the hub bearing assembly because I didn't have it yet and wasn't sure I needed to change it. I also got a wheel alignment done. It runs much better, as expected (drives straight, no play in the wheel, no squeeking) but I still have that slight grinding coming from the front. I don't even want to call it grinding, it's more of a rubbing, which leads me to believe it's just the brake pads wearing themselves even again. It coincides with wheel speed and becomes more noticeable at highway speeds.

I will update once I change the driver's side hub bearing assembly. Even if I don't get the help I was looking for here, maybe this post will help someone else that has the same question.

It sounds like a wheel bearing. That sound you are describing sounds exactly like what I was hearing. I replaced both front wheel bearings and rotors and all is well. Good luck.

I changed the brake pads and rotors that had ridges in them. The noise is still there. Driver's side wheel bearing is on order because every store around here seems to stock this GMB brand and I'm going to try a Raybestos one for a change. Will update once I swap the bearing and hopefully the noise will be gone. Then I'll only have to deal with the constant rattle that sounds like it's coming from my tranny, and the slightly less loud rattle coming from my engine.

I changed the brake pads and rotors that had ridges in them. The noise is still there. Driver's side wheel bearing is on order because every store around here seems to stock this GMB brand and I'm going to try a Raybestos one for a change. Will update once I swap the bearing and hopefully the noise will be gone. Then I'll only have to deal with the constant rattle that sounds like it's coming from my tranny, and the slightly less loud rattle coming from my engine.

I am most likely certain that you looked but could it be the dust shield on the backside of the rotor? I had this happen right after I did my passenger side wheel bearing/hub and quickly found it and pulled it away (no more noise) just an idea.... But other wise yes it could be your wheel hub bearing and good luck to your search, I am in the middle of replacing my driver side suspension components now and found this which is I am pretty sure causing my front end whine:(

But I am going to get a replacement tomorrow and go from there..

DB59BD53-2941-40AA-868A-872BB6C8BB1B_zpseea2z4cu.jpg

Back