Fuel gauge reads empty when half full.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel gauge reads empty when half full..

TMack2300

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Yes i did do a search and nothing on 2014 explorers..

My gas/fuel gauge has been acting really stupid... saying that im outta gas most of the time.. Never says that i have more than i do... Only less.

Any TSB's on this one??

Thank You all in advance, Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sticking fuel float or connection issue, take it in, you are under warranty. No point in making good guesses since it is on Ford's dime.

Mine says its empty after 13 gallons are used. Its a 19 gallon tank.

Once DTE gets to 0, there's approximately 1.5gal remaining in the tank.

My gas/fuel gauge has been acting really stupid... saying that im outta gas most of the time.. Never says that i have more than i do... Only less.

Any TSB's on this one??

The same exact thing happened on my '02 Explorer and it was fuel pump assembly which had to be replaced.

Tsb???

Is there a TSB for this issue???

Any TSB's on this one??

I just had this same issue with my 2015 Sport. It caused an awful scare for me on the highway a few weeks ago before I realized there was an issue with the gauge. We have an appointment on Thursday to get it repaired (we had to wait for part to be ordered).

I just had this same issue with my 2015 Sport. It caused an awful scare for me on the highway a few weeks ago before I realized there was an issue with the gauge. We have an appointment on Thursday to get it repaired (we had to wait for part to be ordered).
Please report back as to what the issue was. Thank you.

Peter

Please report back as to what the issue was. Thank you.

Peter
It is the fuel pump sending unit that is being replaced. We are in the proces of giving this Explorer to our son and getting newer Platinum. Our biggest obstacle is paying luxury price for a brand that certainly does not provide luxury service. Our other car is a Lexus and coming to the service center here is like night and day. I know that you can't compare the two, but if I'm spending money I could spend on a Lexus SUV, well then you do tend to compare. :-(

It is the fuel pump sending unit that is being replaced. We are in the proces of giving this Explorer to our son and getting newer Platinum. Our biggest obstacle is paying luxury price for a brand that certainly does not provide luxury service. Our other car is a Lexus and coming to the service center here is like night and day. I know that you can't compare the two, but if I'm spending money I could spend on a Lexus SUV, well then you do tend to compare. :-(
Thanks for reporting back. On the service issue unfortunately much of that depends upon the individual dealerships. It is apparent that not all seem to provide the same service. I deal with a small town Ford/Lincoln dealership and can't ask for better service. People there have on occasion gone out of their way to be helpful.
This dealer is a 15 miles away. There is a Ford dealership 2.5 miles away but mine provides better overall service.

Peter

If you want to compare Lexus to another Ford brand then you need to compare it to Lincoln. Ford would be comparable to Toyota. With Lexus is the upscale version of Toyota just like Lincoln.

And am I mistaken that the RX is still a 2 row SUV which would be more in line with a loaded Edge? A loaded RX is going to run you $60,000 plus putting you far higher then a Sport.

Sorry but they are not in the same ball park feature for feature.. the Sport is a bargain for what you get.

If you want to compare Lexus to another Ford brand then you need to compare it to Lincoln. Ford would be comparable to Toyota. With Lexus is the upscale version of Toyota just like Lincoln.

And am I mistaken that the RX is still a 2 row SUV which would be more in line with a loaded Edge? A loaded RX is going to run you $60,000 plus putting you far higher then a Sport.

Sorry but they are not in the same ball park feature for feature.. the Sport is a bargain for what you get.

Just to clarify a couple of things. The comparison would be between the Explorer Platinum and the Lexus GX. I realize that Ford and Lexus are not in the same class...hence the dilemma. I LOVE the engine on our Sport, but also appreciate the quality of the Lexus. Unfortunately the engine in the GX simply does not do for me what the Sport (or Platinum since that is what we are considering replacing it with) does. The point of comparing the two is that I like Lexus, but really want the engine of the Sport/Platinum. I am not trying to get a fully loaded GX....the Ultra is fine, and the cost of '16 Ultra GX and '17 Explorer Platinum are comparable. I appreciate your feedback though.

Just to clarify a couple of things. The comparison would be between the Explorer Platinum and the Lexus GX. I realize that Ford and Lexus are not in the same class...hence the dilemma. I LOVE the engine on our Sport, but also appreciate the quality of the Lexus. Unfortunately the engine in the GX simply does not do for me what the Sport (or Platinum since that is what we are considering replacing it with) does. The point of comparing the two is that I like Lexus, but really want the engine of the Sport/Platinum. I am not trying to get a fully loaded GX....the Ultra is fine, and the cost of '16 Ultra GX and '17 Explorer Platinum are comparable. I appreciate your feedback though.

I understand what you mean on the Lexus service. I had an IS30p when they first came out in 2001. Even being the econo Lexus, I was treated extremely well, always got Lexus rentals, service was impecable, vehicles washed and vacuumed every time no matter how quick of a service. Overall a fantastic experience but I will not own a Toyota/Japanese vehicle again. I choose to keep my money in the US..

If I wanted the same service, I would go with a Lincoln next round.

Back