2004 Explorer - Fuel gauge reads empty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer - Fuel gauge reads empty

animex2

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Hey everyone, I just got my 2004 Explorer 4 door XLT with the 4.0 V6 yesterday. Its got 72k on it just about and runs great.

But I just ran into my first problem already! When I got it, it read half a tank (11 gal) and I drove about 70 miles and it moved quickly down to empty. now unless im getting 6 MPG somthing isnt right.

So I filled it up today, put 20.5 gallons in, turn the car back on, its reading empty. I drove 5 miles back home and the gas gauge started to slowly move up, but now its stuck at 1/4 a tank. And unless I got the super rare 80 gal tank, thats not right either.

Any help would be appreciated. Im bringing it to the Dealer monday and they are going to work on it, but in the mean time im trying to figure out what it might be and if its somthing simple mabye do it myself.

I tried messing with the Gas Cap thinking mabye thats the issue, but no dice.

And I know in the Taurus world, having a bad fuel pump would give you bad fuel gauge readings, is this the same in the Explorer world?

Thanks alot.

i had the same problem on my explorer and the way i fixed it was going to a GM dealer and go to the parts department and ask for the ACDelco fuel system treatment plus. just add it to an empty tank,fill the car up i may take up to a week before your gauge working, i add a bottle every oil change and my gauge has not let me down yet

Back