Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Glove box door rattle/squeak

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by deerfarm, May 6, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Spengracin

Spengracin Active Member

City, State:
    Fairfield, Ca
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012 AWD Limited
    Please pictures would assist, Peterk9, im almost there! I climbed i upside down under the dash, found some screws to adjust the hinge (mine is off slightly (higher on the left/lower on the right). looks much better (sorry didnt take pics of the before or after). You know upside down, im only doing that once! Ill let you know tomorrow if this worked.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I had this probem wth my Highlander but not with my Explorer. However, given the number of posts about it, I'm sure the others will be waiting to see if this works. Appreciate the effort. That is what makes this Forum so great, people willing to help others. I hope you had a phone nearby in case you got stuck.:D
    Looking forward to hearing the results. Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year from the great white North. :chug::dpchug:

Peter

4. Spengracin

Spengracin Active Member

City, State:
    Fairfield, Ca
    2012 AWD Limited

Will do, same to you, Peter :chug::chug::chug::chug:

5. doinit10

doinit10 New Member

City, State:
    Harrisonville, MO
    2011 Limited 4WD 302A
    I too have had a noisy glove box door. I tried adding a washer behind the rubber bumper on each side with little or no change. I then tried weather stripping in various locations with no results. I put a cloth at various places along the inside of the door on the left side. Several times the rattle stopped. It seemed that when there was something in the path of the switch that the rattle stopped. So, I put about a 6" piece of electrical tape on the door vertically so that the switch would hit it. (It's a little difficult to tell exactly where the switch contacts the door.) Guess what? No more rattle. I also sprayed the switch with some electrical tuner/lubricant spray just in case. I then drove over offending roads plus railroad tracks. SILENT!
    Hope this helps. Please reply with your results.

6. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
    Seems to be a common problem that I hope has been addressed in the 2016 models.

7. johnnnyo

johnnnyo Member

City, State:
    NY
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    My fix for this issue was to apply two foam approximately 1/8" thick pads to the inside where the rubber bulbs on the door meet the wall. Made the glove door more snug and no more rattle.

8. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
    WV
    2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
    I will try this. Generally I just have my wife ride along and push on the glove box door to keep it from rattling. The dash in the Explorer is very cheaply made with pretty poor materials.

9. Ecobeast

Ecobeast Active Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    2016 Explorer Sport
    Can we appoint this guy the ultimate troll yet?