Grinding/humming noise while driving. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding/humming noise while driving.

khalif88

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 wheel drive
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2000 ford explorer xlt 4wd, I changed brake pads front and back. I noticed when I changed front brake pads on passenger side the inner brake pad was worn way more than the outter. Also car has had new wheel bearing put on passenger side. It grinds when im driving, coasting, accelerating, and in neutrol. Im thinking the piston could be stuck on passenger side caliper. Also when im driving the whole car vibrates when im going from 0 to 30. But is ok after that. Please help!:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure the grinding is from the brakes? Could also be the drivers side wheel bearing...

When you turn the wheel either way will the noise go away, or get any quieter?

There noise is the same when I turn no louder no quieter....I also think it might be the left hub but it doesnt get louder when I drive faster.

I have a 96 Eddie Bauer and had the same issue I have all the time 4 Wheel Drive and it was my Hub that needed to be replaced

I would check your Hub assemblies...

I had a similar issue...

But will bad hub cause vibration? And what is causing uneven brake wear on passenger side inner brake pad?

Welcome to the forum! I would say that it could possible something stuck in the brakes itself like a rock or something. I would check to see if there is any play in the wheel and also to see if there is anything stuck in the rotor and the backing plate. Also check the caliper to see if it is binding up as well.

I believe there are Bearings in the Hub if one of them goes it could cause uneven Braking and a vibration I know mine did

Just checked brake pads and nothing stuck anywhere...I think its the driver side hub so im going to replace it and hopefully the noise goes away.

Thanks to all that helped!

I just changed driver side wheel hub same noise and vibration....when i pull off sometimes it makes this clicking noise and it still makes the grinding/humming noise when I drive. Got transmission checked as well the mechanic said its not the tranny.

Ok but I also just notice I here a click click click noise from the front of the car when I pull off sometimes....What could that be?

Front Axles ?

$(KGrHqIOKkYE091ZbweUBNiTzQm3HQ~~_12.jpg

If the cv axles were bad would that cause the vibration and humming noise? Also I heard if your axles were bad you would hear a "click click click" sound when the car makes a turn....

CV joints could be the problem. Grab hold of the axle shafts and see how much play there is in them. Move them up/down, back/forward. Do you know how to check u-joints without removing the drive shaft? However the clicking noise sounds to me like CV joints. Hard to diagnose without hearing the noise.

I have a 1999 AWD and had a similar issue. Metallic grinding/ticking noise coming from the front left area of the vehicle. Mine turned out to be a bad carrier bearing on the front driveshaft.

Back