HELPNo spring in my fuel line filter connection | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELPNo spring in my fuel line filter connection

AIRBLUE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
No spring in my fuel line filter connection, thanks previous owner.

Can I get a replacement spring? Is there a way to get the filter off without the spring in the connection?

I was using metal tool and could not get connection to release and looked in the fitting could see the tabs but no spring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never knew there was a spring, I have changed the filter 5-6 times. What does the spring do?

On mine you press the tool into the fitting forcing the tabs up and the line comes off (sounds easy but is a PITA) there is no spring in the fitting.

TOWER & HAWAII - Thank you for responding.

I think I got confused with the fuel rail style connector as I was searching for a picture of the internals of connection (because the damn thing wouldn't release). No spring in the female fitting assembly at the filter, you were correct.

I followed the "STICKY" on this as I have had issues with this fitting on other Ford products.
No dirt or corrosion in connection
put a very slight chamfer on the 3/8" side of the "OEM" metal tool from Autozone to make end not have a "lip" where two sides mate up.
Inserted tool, no release, put needle nose between filter and connection to apply "consistent pressure" as tool forced into connection. Still no release.

Can I rip this thing apart and replace the internal spring clip? Or should I just LIGHT A MATCH ;).

FYI - I just joined the "Elite", have received such good advice on this forum figure it has to be worth something.

Back