• Register Today It's free!

Huge Fuel Filter Mistake

pinnacle13

Reaction score
City, State
Bella Vista, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport
I recently tried to change the fuel filter on my 2003 Explorer. I broke the quick connections (the clips that attach to the filter) on the lines that go from the tank to the filter. I know there are repair lines but does anyone have any simple suggestions. I really screwed this up and need you to bail me out.

I have the fuel line repair kits but can't seem to get them fitted together without kinking the lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if repair is possible, I've seen warnings about this as the whole line is usually replaced. Good luck, hope someone knows how to do this as I thought one of my connectors (the red clip one, not the push connect) was a bit dodgy.

do you mean you broke the little metal finger springs in the connection housing?

Dorman_800-008.jpg

Turdle: The other side of the filter. The rear side toward the fuel tank. They have little plastic push type connectors. I broke the plastic pieces that hold the connection in place. There are two of them on that side. The metal one that you are talking about comes out of the engine side of the filter on my rig.

Pinnacle:

I made same damage first time that I replace the fuel filter on my aunt VW (Jetta), I was shocked of seen that small plastic piece broken. I remembered some similar conector I saw once at the autozone, then I went to the autozone and luckly I find it. These conectors can be a PITA since the fuel fragileces them. Please see link below, maybe it will work for you.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...lterByKeyWord=fuel+conector&fromString=search

Back