high altitude primary use?....

drmoore71

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
houston, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Z-71 suburban
Does this mean anything special? Is there anything I could adjust to get better fuel mileage out of my 2000 4x4 xlt? It was originally purchased in CO, and it now resides in TX. I was looking at the window sticker this afternoon, and it set my mind to wondering about it. Thanks for any input you may have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean your truck has "Calibrated For High Altitude Use" on the sticker?

I'm not positive about this but my guess is that the car was either tuned at the dealer or the computer is just used to a higher altitude and therefore less air- making it run leaner. I would call a local ford dealer and ask- or more simply i would just reset the computer so it would "recognize" that it needs a richer fuel mix. This is just speculation though. good luck.

I believe that the PCM's that are programmed for High Altitude or California Emissions require to be re-flashed or chipped to alter those programs. It's not simply a matter of disconnecting the battery cable overnight to "reset" things. That' won't do it.

My truck (EEC-IV) was Cali Emissions and according to Brian Herron formerly of Apten the only way to get rid of it was to get it chipped.

You can tell a difference at altitude. Go up I-70 in Colorado in a car with the high-alt tune and then go up in one without. The difference is 55 mph top speed vs. 75 mph.
As far as how that affects your running condiition in low alt I don't know.

my truck runs great at sea level,
The truck should be able to compensate for the alt change without needing a chip.

the sensors on the engine can change the air/fuel curves based on alot of things and can compensate for quite a bit to keep it running good.

I would not worry about finding a non high alt computer.

I drove out to Sun VAlley, Idaho where I lived last summer (5000-6000ft) from Massachusetts (1000ft), I also drove over Mt. passes on teh way out and during the summer that exceeded 8000-9000ft. I noticed a substantial difference on my drive out. Expecially in hgigh elevations and driving out west. My explorer has been in New England all it's life, once it got out West and was constantly driving at 5000-8000ft, I noticied at least a 15-25% drop in power from the engine. :thumbdwn: I reset everything, and also posted a thread on here asking if any knew anything I could do to regain my power or re-program anything. I forget if I consulted the Ford dealer out there, but I learned to live with the issue.

A little loss of HP and torque. I thought I had heard of high altitude calibration before or some type of adjustment for truck engines, but I could find any real info on it, so I lived with it. I don't think my mileage suffered as much as the basic feel of the Explorer for power and what it could handle going up a few mountain passes every weekend full of people and gear, I would have to hammer it. :eek:

A high altitude calibration will not get you power back at high altitude, its just the lack of oxygen that causing the power loss, nothing a computer can do about that...

intake and exhaust is the key, short of forced induction.

rule of thumb is it takes 3-4 psi of boost from say a supercharger just to get us 5280 ft people the same power that you make at sea level.

I just need a V8 in mine then. I get BLOWN AWAY by most cars going up I-70, my old reliable OHV can only pull the truck at 55 mph on some of the steepest inclines, and I've got every bolt on you can get...

Rhett, my 4.0L in the BII would pull 75-80 up Eiesenhour pass, because of the intake and exhaust, but the BII is about 1000# less then a Explorer.....I used to pass people in 5.9L cherokee's the OHV is a GREAT engine for climbs, I think my 5.0L would ahve a hard time keeping up in the mountains......seriously.

My friends Bronco II has a 4.0 in it, and I tell you his truck is pretty peppy. I bet it would do ok up there. 1000# makes a difference as you know.

My OHV won't do 75-80 in Eisenhower Pass!! Except downhill when I get to the other side. I ought to get a dyno sometime because someone else on this board had the same mods I had, and got 189 hp at the flywheel. I don't think I'm getting 189 at the engine; or I'm losing a lot in the driveline...but I digress...as they say

1000# is 1000#, but still, I was pedal to the metal and it just didn't want it. 55 mph maybe 60 was about it on the steepest parts. The last time I was up there, I may not have had my chip yet...that might explain it.

If I am able to get away and go out there in July, and IF I take my Explorer, I will be able to test it again. And the truck is running great right now, so we'll see..

If I'm going to Leadville July 22-24 I will want to take my Explorer...

I never had a chip, but I had all intake and exhaust.

Back