How do you clear OBD-II Computer faults??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you clear OBD-II Computer faults???

Hummerford

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 E.B.
Does anyone know how to clear a fault? I replaced the part that the OBD-II at Autozone stated was the problem but I still have the light. Am I required to manually clear the fault or will it clear over time?

Where is the cheapest place to purchase a code reader for 98 Explorer?

Thanks,
DT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will clear over time--a long time--since it has to repeat occurences without a fault a bookoodle of times. You can go to Autozone to clear the code, or get a code reader.

Dead Link Removed

Disconnecting your battery for 5 minutes is the cheapest way to clear your codes. If the problem is truely fixed, the code will be earased (along with your current learned operating parameters). So expect some strange behavior (nothing too strange though) for the next couple hundred miles or so. If you don't want to go that route, if the fault isn't detected after 40 cold starts it will clear on its own. Next there is the cheap ($39.99 on sale at Harbor Freight Tools) OBD-II code reader that I posted a thread about on the General Board last week. It will read the code number and allow you to clear the code. Finally, the more expensive ones will have diagnostics capabilities and some will display the actual text description on the scanner. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want it to do.

You didnt state what year but my 97, the fuses under the hood. Fuse 11 (20 amps) will wipe the ECM's memory after pulling it and cranking the motor over. If in doubt look at your owners manual for the fuse that goes to the ecm. As stated above the computer will have to re learn the parameters for the engine sensors and may run funny for a bit.

I have a 1998 E.B. I looked for both ECM, fuse #11 and the 20 amp and came up with nothing. I looked in the owners manual and the tech manual and could not find the correct fuse.

Does anyone know which fuse to pull vice pulling the battary to reset the memory for the MIL?

Thanks for all your help!
DT

Check Engine light is finally OUT!!!

After fixing the problem (OBD-II code of P0133) that caused the MIL, I disconnected the battery as recommended from above and the "Check Engine" light is finally out!

Thanks to all that replied and helped solve my problem!

DT

Back