how many quarts when dropping tranny pan? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how many quarts when dropping tranny pan?

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
when i drop my tranny pan to change the fluid, how many quarts do i need to dump in when i put the pan back? (i thought it was about 3, but i wanna confirm this.) do i have to put back EXACTLY the amount that i took out, or can it be off by fractions of a quart?...and if so, what are those "fractions" of a quart?...1/4 quart?...1/3 quart?...etc.

TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I did mine I had to do 6. I also added a tranny cooler and external filter and left it drain over night. Most people say it takes around 4. I will find out tonight or tomorrow for sure when I do mine again.

IAmTodd said:
When I did mine I had to do 6. I also added a tranny cooler and external filter and left it drain over night. Most people say it takes around 4. I will find out tonight or tomorrow for sure when I do mine again.

please let me know when youre all done tomorrow, or whenever you do it. that'd be great. thanks :)

I'm not trying to jack the thread but I'm thinking about servicing mine. I have about 42K on it and was wondering if anyone used the tranny foam that comes from the same company as seafoam as kinda a home flush? or is a pan drop and filter change good enough.

I've heard that doing 3 or 4 pan drops within a couple weeks of each other is alot easier on the tranny than doing one flush.

I had a little over 4 quarts. I need to check it again to make sure it doesn't need more. I would assume its the same for the 5R55E.

mine took a little over 4,

just buy 5 quarts then you know you'll have enough :D

Ford_Racing_Guy said:
mine took a little over 4,

just buy 5 quarts then you know you'll have enough :D

definitely.

thanks everyone :)

tbomb said:
when i drop my tranny pan to change the fluid, how many quarts do i need to dump in when i put the pan back? (i thought it was about 3, but i wanna confirm this.) do i have to put back EXACTLY the amount that i took out, or can it be off by fractions of a quart?...and if so, what are those "fractions" of a quart?...1/4 quart?...1/3 quart?...etc.

TIA.

4 quarts on my stock A4LD pan.

The trick here is, when you drop the pan, let the fluid fall into some container; then pour it into something that you can measure it with;

I use a milk jug and mark off lines on the side corresponding to 1 qt, 2 qt, 3 qt, 4 qt. Last time I did a pan drop it was exactly 4 quarts. (1 milk jug full).

I suppose with a pan drop I can't go synth.? If not I plan on going with a synth. blend.

If you go to the trouble of a pan drop, you really OUGHT to do a flush, since the flush is 10 times easier and less messy than a pan drop. You can do a flush in 20-30 minutes...but a pan drop takes longer.

You can go synth with just a pan drop, synth and dino ATF mix ok. Keep in mind that you'll be running about 30% synthetic and 70% dino, so the durability and longevity of the overall mix will be pretty much like regular dino.

are their any home flushes i can do, similar to seafoam or do i have to have a shop do it?

Don't use seafoam on your transmission.

You can do it yourself very easily. Directions are on this site. Detailed directions.

Back