How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Oh you said 2015, I was thinking of my 2013. Stupid design and I hate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2nd row is the same as the 3rd, it's an LED on a circuit board. There is a company that will solder new LEDs for you if you ship them the light.

The '13 isn't. I swapped the bulbs on mine. Only the third row is that weak LED.

Looking to swap out the interior lights for LED and I can't find the bulb type for the 2ND row passenger bulb. The sites I've looked at didn't have it listed. Sylvania bulb search didn't have it listed on their site either. I know the third row requires a much more in depth switch but from some videos I've watched, the 2ND row looks easy to swap. Just wanted to verify before I order them. Thanks.

This post covers what you need.

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Looking to swap out the interior lights for LED and I can't find the bulb type for the 2ND row passenger bulb. The sites I've looked at didn't have it listed. Sylvania bulb search didn't have it listed on their site either. I know the third row requires a much more in depth switch but from some videos I've watched, the 2ND row looks easy to swap. Just wanted to verify before I order them. Thanks.
Your thread was merged with this one identified above.

Finally switched the interior lights of my 17. Replaced both the map lights and the 2nd row passenger lights with LED bulbs. Pretty simple swap. Only thing left is the the 3rd row light which is much more difficult to switch.

I would like to convert my puddle lights and interior lights on my 2017 Ford Explorer LImited to LED. I can't find any good instruction and LED recommendations. I can't be the first to look to do this and any help is appreciated.

Also, there is a small oval type of panel on my lift gate. Can I put a light there also?

Thanks everyone,

Welcome to the Forum Ashelp.:wave:
Your thread was moved to this one that should help you. There is a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that can be used to find existing threads/posts.
There is a handy video at the bottom of the page on how to change the puddle lights in this link; daytimebrightlites LED puddle lights

Peter

Last edited:

Anybody know the color temp of the interior leds on a 2018 Explorer for 2nd and 3rd rows?

Anybody know the color temp of the interior leds on a 2018 Explorer for 2nd and 3rd rows?
According to the Manual, only the rear dome and luggage area lights are LED. The second row is not.
If you are looking to change them to LED then I guess the colour would vary depending on the type of LED you install. Have you checked through the thread to see what others have used?
Peter

I’m guessing 5000k. I’ve got an 18 and just replaced the cargo area with a 5500k 38mm festoon from VLEDs and it’s a little whiter compared to the stock leds in the nap, 2nd and 3rd rows.

I’m guessing 5000k. I’ve got an 18 and just replaced the cargo area with a 5500k 38mm festoon from VLEDs and it’s a little whiter compared to the stock leds in the nap, 2nd and 3rd rows.
You stated the 2nd row was LED but the Owner's Manual shows Interior lamps as W5W 5 Watt except for the rear dome and luggage area lights which are LED. :dunno:

Peter

You stated the 2nd row was LED but the Owner's Manual shows Interior lamps as W5W 5 Watt except for the rear dome and luggage area lights which are LED. :dunno:

Peter
Not sure what to tell you. My second row are LED I’m looking at it right now. Same light and lense cover as the third row which I think the manual calls rear dome. The rear cargo area, the one light in the back on drivers side I replaced. It wasn’t LED. I’ve got a brand new 18 limited bought in MN.

.......... The rear cargo area, the one light in the back on drivers side I replaced. It wasn’t LED. I’ve got a brand new 18 limited bought in MN.
Is that the light down by the 3rd row switches? If so, I'm guessing that is what the book refers to as the "Luggage" area light which it says is LED. Looks like a big mixup in what is supposed to be there and what is actually there.:dunno:
Thanks for the reply.

Peter

I think all interior lights for the 2018 are LED, at least mine appear to be. It could be just new but I think they are LED. The Daytime Bright LED's I ordered for the mirror courtesy/approach lamps came with LED license plate bulbs. Not marked for connections so basically 50/50 on whether you get connection right the first time. If Wrong I recommend marking a line on one side so you know not to install the same way next time. Having a helper would....no pun intended help. They can turn the parking lights on and off while you check the connections. I did not have a helper so the assistant I had was a red sharpie to mark the new bulb.

Thanks for the tip on the map lights I will try them next project.

Anyone having problems ordering from DAYTIME BrightLites & DriveBright.com? I go to the order page
and I get an error page that comes up.

I think all interior lights for the 2018 are LED, at least mine appear to be. It could be just new but I think they are LED.

Did you determine if the 2018 interior lights are already LED? If they are, I figure my 2019 has LED interior lights, too.

Did you determine if the 2018 interior lights are already LED? If they are, I figure my 2019 has LED interior lights, too.
Your Owner's Manual has a list of the bulbs starting on page 360. The only discrepancy, at least in the 2018, seems to be the cargo area dome light. See post 512.

Peter

Your Owner's Manual has a list of the bulbs starting on page 360. The only discrepancy, at least in the 2018, seems to be the cargo area dome light. See post 512.

Peter
Awesome, thanks. So my only bulb change this time will be the high beam & I believe it’s the same change as it was on the 2016

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can confirm all the 18 light of the interior are not LED, like others have said. They look it, but they are not.

The map lights are definitely not. I don't think the second row is either. I'm afraid to pop the light holder out. Has anyone done it?

Also my luggage light in the rear was not LED, I switched that out day one with the leftover from the 2 pack from my 16 EXP.

I wish I would of "borrowed" the LEDs from my 16 before I trade it in. I have 3 left, but will need more. I'll let you guys know.

Back