I want to swap my 4.0 for a 5.8 lightning svt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to swap my 4.0 for a 5.8 lightning svt

kumar_svt

Reaction score
City, State
East Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 5SPD R
I seen a very cool 1993 f150 lightning:rangergreen: on the freeway. I almost crashed:roll: into it for giving the person a thumbs up; anyways as i was approaching the truck it look so simular to the ranger, and i thought...thats a really nice :thumbsup:ranger. I got closer and seen thes blue letters couldnt read them until i got right passed him. It read lightning! I was like wow:eek:!! I want to make my explorer into a 1991 ford explorer svt lightning:salute::exp:. And my question is: will the V8 fit my engine bay? Or has anyone actually done this with any ford V8 transplant onto a 90-94 explorer?? I dont want to know about second gen...i know they are similar but i really want to do it to my first gen. Please any help is appreciated!!

The most common, and easiest V8 swap into a 1st gen is the 302/5.0. With these guys usually go with the AOD trans, or C4, or sometimes the 2nd gen Ex auto tranny (5r55e?). On our trucks sometimes the front core support needs to be cut, and the rad mounted further forward. Also, the heater box typically needs to be modded, and often the transmission tunnel modified. A 1" body lift helps with clearance on the bottom side.

Like I said there is a lot of info here on EF about this, in old threads. Also, check out the Ranger Station, they have info on it, and the James Duff (JD) web site mentions little about it. JD can do turnkey swaps I think, for enough $$$.

Back