• Register Today It's free!

V8/5-speed Swap question.

FordGuy90

Reaction score
City, State
Bradenton, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
After doing some reading, Ive decided to swap a 302 into my '94. I purchased a 302 short block that I plan on rebuilding and prepping for the install while I track down some other big components. I want to go 5-speed, and I read that the M5OD-R2 is a direct bolt on to the 302.

The question is, is there a considerable difference in size between the M5OD-R1 and the R2?

Also, will the M5OD-R2 bolt up to my stock transfer case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The m5od-r2 will bolt up to the 5.0l (as long as its from a "small block" pattern engine, a mod motor trans wont work.)

The r2 will fit the trans tunnel, you may have to do a little work with a hammer, not much.

The R2 and 13-54 will not work together in stock configuration.

I plan on doing a 5.0 5-speed swap while keeping it 4x4 on my Explorer in the summer. From what I've read the best fitting trans and t-case will be out of a 97-04 V6 F-150. They say the shifter lines right up so you don't have to cut a bigger hole or anything and it has the same pattern as a 5.0l.

Yup, that will work.

If you cant find that trans, an older m5r2 will work and a newer m5r2 shifter plate will fit it.

Thanks for the info! Now which transfer case will bolt to the M5R2 and keep the stock driveshafts? If there is one...

Most just buy the M5R2 and t-case from the F-150 and use them both. I'm not sure about the drive shafts but I'm thinking that they'll most likely need to be changed.

Most just buy the M5R2 and t-case from the F-150 and use them both. I'm not sure about the drive shafts but I'm thinking that they'll most likely need to be changed.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what model is the stock t-case?

The 97+ is a 4406. This would work good, and fit between the frame rails.

80s/90s:
np208
bw13-45
bw13-56

All will work, need to clearance the case or frame to fit.

earlier:
np205... big, heavy, indestructible, fits between the frame rails, crappy low range gearing. Not a bad choice.
np203... dont waste your time

There are others that would work, but I'm not going to list everything. I'd go with the 4406 or the np205.

I'm running a 302, with 97 4.2 v6 F150 5spd and Manual 4406 t-case. Sema like the best way to go IMO.

Back