Ignition issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dylkinson

Reaction score
City, State
Nanaimo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
This has been a recurring issue for a while now. every so often the battery keeps sending power to everything after the engine is shut off as if the key were turned too far when powering down. I'd have to find the sweet spot that seems to get smaller and smaller each time I'd shut her down, and eventually the ignition had to be lifted slightly to stay off. Seems like it just came loose but I wanted to make sure before I start taking it apart to get everything in there cleaned and tightened.
If it is just that are there any specific tools I need? Anything I need to be especially careful around?

the key switch might be worn out. for a few bucks you can install a battery shut off switch or you can pull the steering wheel and replace the switch. you would need a steering wheel puller for that.

the key switch might be worn out. for a few bucks you can install a battery shut off switch or you can pull the steering wheel and replace the switch. you would need a steering wheel puller for that.

Sweet thanks trash truck

Actually a sloppy Key tumbler is not the issue.

You need to replace the actual switch: It is on top of the steering column about half way down. You only need to remove the center dash panel under the column to get at it. Unplug, two screws, reinstall making sure the slider pin is engaged with the rod. DONE. .. .:)

cs273_primary1_zpsbb5a0013.jpg

Back