• Register Today It's free!

Interchangeable Parts

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
I have a 91 Explorer Eddie B. Everytime I visit the salvage yard, I see late model 4.0s. Can I use sensors from those years or can I only pull parts from 91-94s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Define late model. Most sensors up to 94 will interchange. Lots of things changed on the second gens, so cross reference part numbers before trying to swap stuff. Usually if things look the same there's a good chance they'll work the same, but that doesn't always hold true, such as in the case of different MAF calibrations. For example, the MAF from a 94 Explorer (4.0 OHV) and 89 Taurus SHO (3.0 DOHC) look the same, and will actually swap well enough to run each motor, but it won't run as well as the correct sensor.

And some from 95' (only 95' OHV 4.0)

For example the Cam Synchronizer (Cam position Sensor) (CMP)

The 91'-94' design is discontinued but the 95' CMP is a direct fit and a better design.

I believe the TB and TPS are identical on 95' as well.

Keep in mind 95' was the transition year and you are going to find a mish-mash of 94', 95' and 96' under those hoods.

So like arco777 said verify the cross-over of the part numbers first.

Not to mention Mazda trucks with the Cologne 4.0L V6 OHV engine; those parts will interchange as well.

Same years 91'-94' Mazda Navajo, and B-4000

It's a matter of OBD-I or OBD-II on some of the sensors. 95' being the transition year to OBD-II as well.

As arco777 mentioned with the MAF in that case the difference was 3.0L vs. 4.0L it'll run but 3.0L has less air flow so the sensor is out-of-range for the 4.0L

Ahhhh Bone Yard tech, my favorite!

Hey, what ever you do, if you discover an unknown part interchange while digging around be sure to post it up for the rest of us.

I wonder what else they slapped the Cologne 4.0 into?

OK, according to the interweb wiki world

Applications:

Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series
Ford Explorer/Mazda Navajo
Cross Lander 244X
Ford Aerostar (1990–1997)

Also the Aerostar was available with a 4.0. Bit more tricky pulling parts from it though.

91-92 had no EGR or secondary o2 sensor (makes for less hassles in my opinion). 93-94 EGR, 2 oxygen sensors.

IF you want to use later model stuff then you might have to do some extensive swapping to make it work.

I think the later 1st gens had cam sensors or something like it. If it was me personally keep it simple and less emissions crap to deal with and go with the 91-92's for sensors.

Another option is to play with a parts store over the net, to see if part ___ interchanges from one year to another. Then that could solve a few mysteries for you. Good luck. If possible look for more junkyards within reasonable driving distance for more options.

I need an icm, ecm and crankshaft sensor. When I say late model, I meant second gen

Most 93's do not have EGR. Mine doesn't, a late build might. But it has 2 O2's..
Those will not swap into your X.

I need an icm, ecm and crankshaft sensor. When I say late model, I meant second gen

I have no idea regarding engine parts. I know of body parts and interior parts that swap over. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I have a 92 Ford explorer 4x4 that has bad exhaust valve and probably be easier to do an engine swap.... I know somebody that said I could have a 95 Ford explorer 4x4 and wanted to know if it would be possible an easy swap 95 into a 92?

I have a 92 Ford explorer 4x4 that has bad exhaust valve and probably be easier to do an engine swap.... I know somebody that said I could have a 95 Ford explorer 4x4 and wanted to know if it would be possible an easy swap 95 into a 92?

Only if done as a complete package. Plan on changing everything over computers, harness, transmission etc. This will be the only way you can do it and avoid all the trivial issues of making the whole thing work. Still a lot of work though, especially when new cylinder heads are available for first gens.

It depends on your level of skill and if you have the time to do it. Personally if I was to do an engine swap, it would be getting a V8.

Next visit to your you pull a part take a look around and think why are these vehicles here. Well they failed at something to have this status. Yes buying new sensors / Emission parts seems costly but if one factors in the fact the item you are getting should be good / correct, to a questionable piece you wasted time and money on well it's your time and your wasted money on a bad / incorrect part not mine.

Does anyone know if a 1994 ford explorer fit on a 1895?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if a 1994 ford explorer fit on a 1895?
Umm what?! You want to swap a whole vehicle onto another vehicle?

With enough intuition and some tools, anything is possible I guess? I did know a guy who put a late 60s Charger on a 78 Wagoner chassis. He daily drove that monster.

Back