Is this speaker okay?

AGiorgianni

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford Hills, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hello All

I'm simply trying to replace the subwoofer speaker in my stock JBL system in a 1992 Ford Explorer.

The problem is that no one seems to know what the ohm rating is for the stcok amp (it's not even clear from the vehicle shop manual).

Crutchfield identified a 4 ohm speaker that will fit in the opening (6.75"). The salesperson and tech there both tell me that there shouldn't be any risk of damaging the amp connecting this. The Ford shop manual sales the speakers vary from 6 to 8 ohms, though I think it's talking about the door speakers. The section on the premium sound system says nothing out ohms or watts.

I'm not blasting the volume on this thing normally, though I don't know if that makes a difference. No speakers will be in series. The purchased speaker is a JL Audio C5-650cw 6-3/4" Component Woofer. I know that's overkill, though it gives me the opinion of upgrading the amp if I want at some point (This car is vritually showroom condition with only about 100,000 miles).

Any thoughts? Would you install it?

Thanks.

Anthony Giorgianni

being that there isnt enough specific info on the amp you are using, as long as the amp cannot out perform the RMS or peak ratings of the sub, you should be ok. if i were you, just go buy a new amp, that stock one isnt going to do your replacement justice anyway.

I had no idea JL offered a C5-650CW. I have a pair of the C5-650 up front and they sound pretty good, although it seems to lack mid bass a bit IMO. If you/I was to spend the time needed to build a "box" in the panel, it may sound damn good, but that would take quite a bit of time and effort. Come to think of it, you wwould simply be replacing the sub in the plastic bin right? Hmmmm....... that actually might sound pretty good!

i have no idea what the stock ohm rating is on the factory amp but i can tell ya i replaced mine in my 94 xlt with a 8inch rockford p1( little modding needed...nothing big though) that was 4ohm and it pounds ALOT more than stock...sounds better and did still has not fried the amp after 2 years

Back