Is this TDC?

Raceit

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 2DR 4WD XL
I'm doing the timing chain on my '91 Ex. The 2 shop manuals I have do not make it very clear at all how to get to TDC.

This is what I think TDC is right now. The pointer is right at the "0".

The manual makes it seem like that missing tooth is TDC, and they want that missing tooth underneath the Camshaft Position Sensor. (Which is that black cylinder shaped object covered in oil.)

I can turn the engine with a ratchet and I can feel the compression come and go, but I'm not familiar enough with engines to determin TDC by that means.

TIA

Attachments

• tdc1.jpg
    tdc1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 417

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How in the world do you get your camera in there??????

Sorry I cant help, I believe that is TDC butdont take my word for it.

Hope you got a new belt, thermostat, and waterpump while you're in there!!! Nice job with the tape holding up the A/C!!!!! I feel you man, been there done that a few times on my old 2.9L......

I figured you had some fiber optic attachment for your digital camera.......

Well to set the timing on mustangs (according to my manuals) is ya just go and pull Cyl #1 plug, and either look, or cover the plug hole with yer finger till ya get pressure built up, so as, it's TDC... then it should be gauranteed, by matching the balencer thingy on the front that ya took the photo of :)

Hope that helped a lil
Pete

yes..

yea thats it... , Pull the cover- with compression in #1 and the balancer at the marks the cam and crank sprockets should be aligned. If not just align the marks, if you are just changing the chain it doesnt really matter if you are at 1 or not. With the marks lined up you will be good to go.

I put a screw driver in the #1 plug so I can see it move, and hear the escaping pressure.

All of the screws for the timing guides, chain and idler are torx - 25 or 30, 40 and 55 if I remember correctly- dont forget to remove the tensioner clip :)

Back