• Register Today It's free!

Junkyard Power steering pump

Zhisen

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer EB XLT V8
I was wondering whether or not it would be worthwhile to find another power steering pump at a junkyard to replace mine which is going bad. I've done enough research on the matter to know that I can change one out myself but I was wondering if anyone has done this before with such a recovered power steering pump or if my idea is bound for mechanical failure. That is to say that I am not terribly sure if a power steering pump is recoverable from a junk car that has been in a yard as other parts may be.
I figure this may be one of those things that I best buy new, but I'd prefer to spend less on this one if possible so I figured it's safest to pick minds who do not stand to gain from an expensive repair.
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did and its been working fine. If u have a 5.0 and u can only find a 4.0 power steering pump u will have to take a hammer to the valve that come from the reservoir to break it free its not threaded just locked in place. Rotate the valve 180 degrees and use some steel weld epoxy to hold it in place.

If you're going to keep the vehicle for a few more years, I'd go with a new one

Thanks! That actually does help a lot. This is an old vehicle that I'd give a year or so of life left so I figured that this may be just what I need --but yes, a new one is always the best option. Thank you again. :)

The PS Pumps on the Explorer 5.0 are built much better than the ones on the V6 counterparts. I'm running a Junkyard V6 Pump and its held up - just look around for a vehicle that seems to have been taken care of and you should be fine.

If the V8s are still using the P-stype pumps:
The TC pumps (v6) are designed for higher RPMs where as the P pumps (v8) are more for low RPMs. The TC pumps use bearings where as the P use bushings. The P pumps on the other hand typically have a larger volume where as the TC pumps needs to spin at a faster rate to make up for the displacement difference.

Back