• Register Today It's free!

just tring to trouble shoot

MikeLitt3810

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh Pa,
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Exploder 2 door, eddy
i love my 92 exp. over 180k. it's been great untill it gets warm out. then it started running rough now i can not get more than 15 miles out of it b4 it loses 80% of it's power. thank god i live 11 miles from work. :)
as well it is lurching @ stop's has yet to stall but it wants to.
and it runs realy hot, tail pipe is black mudflap melted off.

what i have replaced or removed this past summer/fall
coolant temp sensor,
O2,
water pump,
fuel filter,
all the vaccume lines,
pcv,
plugs,
wires,
positive batt treminal and cut away 3 inches of corrosion on the wire.

things removed..
the inside of my cat,
theromstat,
all the factory ac equiptment,

I have no codes stored. this has been a pain in my life for about a year now but i love it to much to get rid of it. not to mention i dumped more than the trucks value into the transmission, axels, complete new suspention. I'm not ready to dump a new engine into to it because the one i have still has not lost one drop of oil.

some ideas i have came across but have not looked into is possibilty of needing a new exhaust, i'm still running the factory, the fuel pump works but is original. as well clutch fan is showing it's age and when i find a reasonable priced electrical i'll swap it out.

so if you can shoot me any ideas for troubble shooting i don't wanna just toss new parts on it in hopes of correcting my super hot, loss of power explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

No codes stored. Did you run the KOER test while it was running rough? I can't imagine an engine running as rough as you describe not having something in the KOER test (even if it's just a 411 or 412 code). Fuel pressure normal?

no codes :( it runs great for the first 10 min. you would think there was not a thing wrong with it. then it gets hot and it's all down hill.

after i changed the fuel filter it ran line a champ for a few days, then acted up so it got new plugs and wires, great for a few days, and so on.. i'm kind of sick of throwing parts at it

once my spare truck gets past state inspection i'm going to park the X and toss a ton of parts at it. :)

i did not run the koer test and since i'm off work tomorrow i'll get back with results ty

when i scan for codes to date all i have used is the ford obd1 scan tool will the koer test pick up items that the obd1 will not?

What you are calling OBD-1 is normally referred to as the KOEO test. Your Explorer has a second test, called the KOER test, that can also be run. You might review my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" in the EEC-IV forum for a description of the various tests your computer can run. There are codes that are specific to the KOER test that don't show up in the KOEO test or in CM. I'm not certain there will be any useful information in the KOER test, but it only takes a few minutes to find out.

no codes it runs great for the first 10 min. you would think there was not a thing wrong with it. then it gets hot and it's all down hill.
Is this true on hot start or cold start, or does it run rough sooner on a hot start, or does it run smooth at all on a hot start?

after i changed the fuel filter it ran line a champ for a few days,
part of the reason I asked you to check the fuel pressure is that this suggests the possibility that there is a problem with fuel delivery that is contributing to the problem. A new filter doesn't guarantee that fuel delivery is everything it should be.

Where the problem seems related to temperature, I would check the temperature sensors (coolant and intake) in case they are failing open or something when hot. They are simple thermistors and can easily be checked with a voltmeter/ohmmeter. Brooklynbay has posted a table with the resistance values at various temperatures, I've posted a similar table, though it's buried deeper, and any good manual would have the same table.

Back