complete loss of electrical power. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

complete loss of electrical power.

Harpua216

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
short story. replaced the passenger-side head. put everything back the way it was. connected every wiring harness exactly as it was. hooked up battery, got lights clock, power seats etc,.

tried to turn it over......then ZAP!!! complete loss of power.. no sparks on battery, nadda....

how do i diagnose?

thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the battery cables/connections. I've had the same thing from a loose connection at the battery.

Check the battery cables/connections. I've had the same thing from a loose connection at the battery.

yep. The factory terminals suck too. Mine looked fine was coroded inside where I couldn't see. Swapped em out with brand new ones and fired right up

but i definitely heard a ZAP...like something shorted....any other tips? it was like it pushed power then shorted...could it still be a cable/connection?

yeah, I bet thats what it is. You can go with a test light, (check your battery for 12 volts first) connect to the neg cable and probe where the pos. cable bolts onto the fuse panel (theres a little door thing that slides up to hide the connection.) If you got 12vots in the battery and not there its the terminal. Point of interest: that connection is actually a fuse and I have seen them break. Only once though it'll be two nuts with like a flat piece of tin between them O--O <---like that

Any other ideas? Got 12.6 volts on battery. Not sure where that door to the terminal connection is. Any clarification or other areas to check woild be a great help. Thanks.

what fuses would control power? the EEC relay fuse blowing, would that open the circuit giving me no power?

bump

well, it seems to be a cable issue (pos) in some form or another as i now have power back but cannot seem to turn it over. i am getting a click but cannot locate whether its soming from the starter or the control module. once my wife comes home i will be able to get a good locale of the click. i have a 91 explorer and if it ever stops raining I will go and get the pos cable from that to see it if that is indeed the only issue, but i fear its not... so while i am waiting................any ideas??

but i definitely heard a ZAP...like something shorted....any other tips? it was like it pushed power then shorted...could it still be a cable/connection?
That sound exactly like what my trucks have done when there is a loose connection at the battery.

If you want an "off the wall" idea to try, I used to try jamming a screwdriver or a screw or something in between the clamp and the battery post to try to tighten the connection.

i think the problem is a little deeper than the post and the connection, but thank you for answering as i value your experience and your past posts have helped me considerably. can you explain to me what happens when the starter solenoid or ignition coil goes bad as it pertains to my issue?
Thanks

after some more checking with a helper turning it over for me, it sounds like the click is at the Control box, i tried pulling and changing the relay fuses around to see if it was a blown fuse but it did not alter the outcome. i do however feel a lot of fuel coming from somewhere behind the manifold but i am guessing its because i keep turning the fuel pump on and there was nowhere for it to go?

just pulled the KOEO code 522 which is the MLP. trying to locate it, but i am guessing it is thinking my car is in gear?

ok.. making a little progress. found this plastic piece and wondering if it has to do with something i plugged in electrically that may need to be grounded or is for a manual tranny connection that i hooked up that isnt supposed to be, rendering the computer to tell me the MLP sensor is thinking the car is "in gear"??

20sj6ug.jpg

bump

wow, still no luck? Sorry havent been on in a while... I'll taske a few shots of mine in the moring and post a video to better explain my post. Hope we can help you get this thing going

I don't know about the error code, but when the connections at the battery are going bad, you can have power to all the accessories, but the cables are not capable of pushing the Amps necessary to throw the starter, hence the solonoid clicking. Remember that voltage and amperage are two very different things.

I've dealt with this set of symptoms a number of times, and found it to be faulty battery terminal connections, loose/corroded ground connections on the block and/or starter assembly, a bent solonoid post, and last but not least, a bad cell within the battery. Any of these can act like what you are describing, and I've had my X throw some really weird codes when the electrical system is acting up. I would suggest that you pull the battery and have it load tested to make sure that it isn't weak/discharged/dying, and then if that checks out go over every cable and contact point for the starter circuit. These creatures are moody and it doesn't take much to make em uncooperative.

thank nassau.. it was a connection of the positive wire. i had a buddy help me out and after looking at the wire there were a few cuts in some of the wires there were under the tape by the plastic connector. i did jump the solenoid and get her to start up. she runs pretty good now. the manifolds smoked like heck for a bit due to all the wet tests, pblaster etc.,., but after that, and after i put some new gas in her, she will be good to go. thanks for eveyones help. i just have to put in the AC from a 94 i found and vacuum it out..

Grats! I'm glad to hear that your lady is back on the road. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

*****en!!! Kinda thought it would be something stupid like that. glad youre back in action

Back