Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com

I have an '04 XLT v6. Stock except for exhaust (Flowmaster 40). I'm looking for some modifications preferably suspension. Any suggestions on what i should do?

yes go to Roadbully-offroad.com get 3inch sus lift spacers for 225 +shipping, then grab yourself a PA body lift part number 883.

from what i understand longer springs are a waste cause they settle eventually

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm answering my own question. with the spacers minus the body lift what size tires will i be able to have? also how hard is installation for those spacers?

OK thankyou! I'll definately look into the spacers they look good. do you know much about the auto 4x4? anyway to bypass it?

Check the stickies. Thers one called brown wire mod. That will bypass auto4x4.

I'm answering my own question. with the spacers minus the body lift what size tires will i be able to have? also how hard is installation for those spacers?

Installation isnt too hard. I have a set of 3" front and 2.5" rear. We got everything apart in about 20minutes. I reckon we coulda got the whole strut done in 45minutes. But we couldnt figure out how to get the shock compressed. (Spent a good 4 hours just trying to get the shock compressed.) Ended up calling it quits and went out to get shop quotes.

Most people who got a shop done ended up paying like 250 - 300ish range or somthin like that. I remember seeing 60$ per strut. No shops around here will touch it tho ... So im kinda screwed. :(

Can you rent a shock compressor anywhere? i read the sticky on the bwm. sounds pretty trust worthy.

I dont even know what a shock compressor would look like. Haha.
I tried a spring compressor but it only compressed the coils around the shock. The shock stayed the same.

I used a big screw driver thru the shock hole, wiggling the bottom part of the shock. Once you find the "sweet spot", you will be able to push the lower contol arm down by hand to reattach the shock to the lower control arm.

I was told that by goatman, but havnt been able to try it yet. Too cold.

How do the coil springs do so far as keeping factory geometry? I have the RB spacers on now and my upper control arm is pushed way down, throwing the angle off, the spindle is about 3/8" away from my coils, giving me a very harsh ride.

How do the coil springs do so far as keeping factory geometry? I have the RB spacers on now and my upper control arm is pushed way down, throwing the angle off, the spindle is about 3/8" away from my coils, giving me a very harsh ride.

As far as i now it will do the same and the springs will settle over time......

The coil springs will keep factory geometry simply because you will not achieve the amount of lift as advertised. If you could order 6" springs and get about 3 inches of lift then it would be the same scenario as you're facing now.
I dont know if that answers your question. I know that 2.5" springs will not equal the 2.5" spacers as far as lift height goes you have on now. You mentioned in the other thread you may pull the front spacers off and add springs to the front. Just be aware of the fact that it will be very difficult to match the ride height. And even if you do after some time they will sag and then they will not be level front to rear if that is something you're concerned with. For me that is a must for a 4WD.
Hope this helps, I know you're just looking for an option to fix your ride quality and keep the lift. Honestly since I have gotten out of the serious 4WD off roading a body lift has been my best friend. Gives me the height for looks and bigger tires and maintains completely stock ride quality. Just something to think about. I just paid 250 for my BL, pretty cheap in the lift world. Also you could sell the spacers on here I'm sure so no big loss there.

how does the ride feel with the coilsprings?

The ride feels very close to stock. I had 2.5" springs in the front only and ended up with about 1.5" of lift. I could have easily went bigger without problems.

nice bro, I just recently got a Hunter guard too, and I put it on in like 20 min... but what do you have suspension wise? ive been looking all around and i really dont know what to do yet. I put new tires on las summer, and the guys at the tire place said the biggest tire i could fit was a 245/70/16... which i knew was crap. but thats what i have right now, just lookin for the next step.

hey all, whats up. i have 2" lifting springs on my 03 xlt (pics somewhere on the forum..lol). i got the springs from coilspring specialties. i was able to install them without making any changes. my question is, if i were to order 4 or 6 inch springs, what would i have to change out to accomodate this. probably longer struts i assume, but is there any other issues i would probably run into, especially in front end.

thanks guys

great thread, this "leveling" thing has got me intrigued. I never really noticed it before, but does the stock body dip in the front?...im on X number three, been through 1st and 2nd Gens with a total of about 450K miles, no mods. Bought an '04 XLT (wedgewood blue) 6 mos ago and I'm going to have some fun with it...going for the blacked out look. First thing I did was to buy some '06 OEM rims and had them powdercoated black...found some 255 70 16's to put on them...my question is, where is the point the level is being measured from? I'm thinking it's from the top of the tire to the high point of the wheel well? I'm going to try and post some pics later but any input is appreciated

Donner, your private message inbox is full. You still have those 1.5" rear coils? My front coils have held up pretty well and I'm looking to level out the rear sag on my ex now.

I wan't to get 265's for my 04 3rd gen. If I get the spring locks, would that prevent rubbing? Could I even go bigger?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lift?

I have an 02' XLS and im trying to lift it. Im not all the knowledgeable on what is the best way to do this. I have read about getting spacers, new coils, and the Rancho Quicklift systems. What is the best way to get a 3 inch lift on my Explorer so i can run 32's and finally get my soccer mom car to do some respectable off-roading?

Back