Another Solution for lifting a 3rd Gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Solution for lifting a 3rd Gen?

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
Hey all,
I came across these by accident. I have no idea if these will for sure work, but I wanted to get some more opinions.
What I am talking about are Ride Height Adjustment Shocks from Bilstein. I like the looks of them and would want to know if anyone thinks these would work on the Explorer.
5100 Series
e9a09f5c19.jpg

5100 Series - Ride Height Adjustable

Zinc-plated shocks that install like factory replacement shocks and are designed to correct the factory rake. The OEM spring seat is repositioned to provide more preload to the factory spring. The result is a level front to rear ride height.

The product benefits at a glance:

Monotube gas pressure construction
Extremely affordable
Snap ring grooves on shock body provide up to 2.75" of front end lift (depending on application)
More practical than strut extension or spring pre-load spacer kits
Offers increased wheel travel while accommodating a 33" tire.
Application specific design available for many popular light trucks and SUVs.
For an in-depth explanation of WHY the Bilstein Ride Height Adjustable shock absorber differs from conventional spacer kits on the market today, please download this informative article:
http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf
I was thinking this would help out with wheel well travel, which we all know spacer kits reduce that. Possibly this could help out with the ball joint stress by not allowing the upper control arm to over extend. I'm going to be reading over the PDF as soon as I finish this post.

EDIT: Looks like to be more of a leveling kit, but it still allows for more travel in the rear suspension which is definately better.

Thanks ahead of time for the help and comments,
Nate

Rancho Quick lifts for the 3rd gen explorers listed in this guide. :)
http://www.gorancho.com/assets/application_pdf/Rancho_Suspension_quickLIFT_Loaded.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that my friend is a shock not a strut lol ... and i checked the bilstein website and they have a sport trac but not just an explorer but i think someone on here has used the rancho quicklifts but that is a VERY expensive lift compared to spacers. :scratch:

the only way to really keep the suspension from drooping out too far is to either use smaller size spacers and/or install limiting straps.

That, or you can fix the weak point (which is the upper control arm/ball joint) by replacing with a longer tubular version

Good idea on the shocks but until someone makes a strut like that I am not sure it would work.

Thanks for the input guys. armysoldier- I know that is a shock, but I think it adjusts the spring so it will level out the vehicle. I'm probably going with a quick lift, as I think wheel travel won't be reduced too much. Ronin- Let me know when you get your spacers on, because I would like to know the results as it may change my mind on a lift.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ronin- Let me know when you get your spacers on, because I would like to know the results as it may change my mind on a lift.
Posted via Mobile Device

Will do. It'll probably be at the end of this month since I'll be out of town for the next few weeks.

They only list them for the F150, I wonder if these will work on the explorer?

Nate,

After reading the article linked in your first post I can see how this would be a good complement to the 3rd Gens running BTF spacers. If I understand it right, these 5100 shocks could fix the problems seen with spacer lifts, as you said.

Not sure if they could be made to work...guess it depends on the specs of what they have for the F-150. If its close enough to what the 3rd gens have then maybe it could work?

Then again, as nice as these shocks are, it seems that a limiting strap setup for the front suspension would be cheap and relatively easy to set up. That would prevent the struts from causing balljoint/control arm stress and binding. You'd lose some droop too...but I don't know how that would impact daily driving on a 2.25" or smaller spacer lift. you'd only really need it on the front suspension.

0612or_08_z+2004_ford_f_150+a_arm_front_view.jpg

A picture of the F150 Upper A-Arm. I want to do a spacer lift, but I want something with good flex, and a limited drop on the front. I'm not sure about a limiting strap as I haven't seen anyone run those yet on this forum, so that's why I'm thinking a quick lift.
Would a spacer lift at 1.75 or 1.5 front not need a limiting strap. I wouldn't think that with Moog ball joints would really stress it too much to the point of ripping the ball joint out

I don't know if a limiting strap will be required on a 1.75/1.5 spacer lift....but I'll let you know in a few weeks when I do it :)

you know when you jack up the front end of your truck off the grond and your front suspension droops out all the way? Look at the position of your upper control arms. Then imagine if the strut were allowed to travel xx inches further down (xx being the height of your lift spacer) and you'll get an idea of why the upper balljoints have had problems even with 2.25" spacer lifts in really aggressive offroading situations.

The point of a limiting strap is it doesn't allow the suspension to droop further than stock. With a spacer and no limiting strap, the suspension can droop too far so the balljoint becomes the limiting factor...leading to failure eventually.

1.75" isn't much less than 2.25", so it still may get nearly the same amount of stress. Or it might be fine...I'll just have to try it and see.

The main thing I hope to avoid with the 1.75" front spacers is having the upper control arm and/or spindle hit the coils at full droop. Not everybody seemed to have that problem either. I suspect some people who had issues had also removed their front swaybar for better front suspension articulation, which may have actually led to their problems.

guys guys guys, i have had 1.5 spacers installed. to be 100% completely honest i removed them because all they did was cause no down travel and the spindles hit my coils on the struts. This happened on sand trails in Michigan and at the dunes. I removed the spacers and went a second time. It was night and day no spindles hitting coils and i had WAY more travel.... im not saying not to go with them but if you want a good offroader spend money in r&d like ive been doing... that or try the straps who knows that might help!

edit: yes at full droop it made the spindles hit, and that was with fully connected sway bar.

Good luck!

Ok so I am halfway thru my BTF 1.75" front /1.5" rear spacer install. Front is done. Control arm angle is very mild when the truck is sitting on the ground so the ball joints will be fine I think.

I have found that like xplorerguru said, the spindle top will touch the coil at full suspension droop. I think it could travel down more if it weren't for that so I can see how that limits the droop.

The good news is when you've got the truck sitting on the ground, the suspension has to droop quite a bit to make the spindles hit the coils.

For normal daily driving, shouldn't be a problem at all. Offroading I could see it becoming an issue. That being said,I will be getting some metal tabs and steel cable together to make some limiting straps for the front.

You only really need to lose less than an inch of droop to keep the spindle from hitting with a 1.75" spacer installed. For taller spacers that will require you to give up more and more droop for the limiting straps to keep the spindle from hitting. This is why a longer upper control arm with a uniball is better for this type of lift, especially 2.25" and up.

So I am going to take it easy with the truck until I get the limiting straps set up and then I'll post a write up.

Great stuff mate, thank's for letting us know. Looking forward to your write up and pic's of how your rig turn's out.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ok so I am halfway thru my BTF 1.75" front /1.5" rear spacer install. Front is done. Control arm angle is very mild when the truck is sitting on the ground so the ball joints will be fine I think.

I have found that like xplorerguru said, the spindle top will touch the coil at full suspension droop. I think it could travel down more if it weren't for that so I can see how that limits the droop.

The good news is when you've got the truck sitting on the ground, the suspension has to droop quite a bit to make the spindles hit the coils.

For normal daily driving, shouldn't be a problem at all. Offroading I could see it becoming an issue. That being said,I will be getting some metal tabs and steel cable together to make some limiting straps for the front.

You only really need to lose less than an inch of droop to keep the spindle from hitting with a 1.75" spacer installed. For taller spacers that will require you to give up more and more droop for the limiting straps to keep the spindle from hitting. This is why a longer upper control arm with a uniball is better for this type of lift, especially 2.25" and up.

So I am going to take it easy with the truck until I get the limiting straps set up and then I'll post a write up.

You nailed it! For everyday driving its fine... but once you hit the off road you're screwed! I cant wait to see your limiting straps! Wish they would make upper arms for us! Oh and for the rear I NEVER had an issue nor did anyone else i think, its the front thats the bugger!

Is BTF making custom upper contol arm's? I've seen their complete custom long travel front suspension set up's and was wondering if that part was available separately?

You nailed it! For everyday driving its fine... but once you hit the off road you're screwed! I cant wait to see your limiting straps! Wish they would make upper arms for us! Oh and for the rear I NEVER had an issue nor did anyone else i think, its the front thats the bugger!

I have scoring on my rear axel shafts from rubbing in the frame loops. Theres at least one person with a rear issue. I had 2.25/2 spacers. (or maybe it was 2.25/1.75)

Is BTF making custom upper contol arm's? I've seen their complete custom long travel front suspension set up's and was wondering if that part was available separately?

He did at one time, but he told me he didn't save the design or something so he needs a test rig to build another set and get the design done.

For the volunteer who does this he's even offered to do it for only the cost of the materials. So far he's had nobody step up...I would to it in a heartbeat if he didn't live on the other side of the country.

Same here, but replace country with world!!!:D:thumbsup:

I have scoring on my rear axel shafts from rubbing in the frame loops. Theres at least one person with a rear issue. I had 2.25/2 spacers. (or maybe it was 2.25/1.75)

That is the first time I have heard of that... when I ran 3/2.5 before 1.5/1.5 i still had no rubbing... hmmmm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed the rear spacers today (1.5") and oddly enough the axles touch the frame loops at full droop. Just barely though. Again, not something that will matter with daily driving but if I get in rough enough terrain it probably would. I might also investigate limit straps for the rear.

Back