• Register Today It's free!

Lift gate will not open

Devhntr

Reaction score
City, State
Whitinsville, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
I have a 2000 expl. The rear lift gate/door handle disconnected from inside the door.
I noticed when I lifted the glass there was a small plug on the interior door panel. I assume this is for such an occasion. BUT I cannot figure out how to get it to work. I have searched everywhere and no answers. Sooooo help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IIRC the small plug on the top of the door covers a screw that needs to be removed. Then you have to unscrew the pull strap on the hatch. At that point, you should be able to pull the inside hatch cover off while the hatch is still closed. It's a PITA but doable. Good luck.

Hmm, that reminds me that I forgot to lube that last time I did the doors.

When I pop off the cap on the door panel there is a small hole and with a flashlight I can see a small threaded rod that looks like a door rod.
There is no screw. How do I attach a picture?

^ Upload it to http://www.imgur.com
(Green "New Post" button)

Right click and "copy image location" or "image link" or however your browser words it
Paste that link into the pop-up box that appears when you click the "Image" icon above the Post Reply box.

- or - Get a phone app for the hosting site you want to use if it's on your phone.

Back