• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate closing on its own?

NJDave

Reaction score
City, State
Lopatcong, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Curious if any other 2020 owners have experienced this. While loading groceries in yesterday the liftgate closed on its own giving me a pretty good knock in the head. Once it did it stopped as it should, but I have no clue why it moved in the first place.

This was not an isolated incident, it has occurred at least 4-5 other times for different family members.

I read on another site that it could be the foot activation, but I cannot even get it to open reliably let so I don't see how that would be triggering a close.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you can disable the hands free lift gate in the infotainment menus, I’d try that to see if your triggering the hands free sensors, seems like this could be the likely cause.

Happens to me quite often. I haven't taken the time to look at the menus to see if anything can be adjusted. But it can be kind of annoying. We have a baby and change him in the tail area when on trips. Kind of tough to have the door closing on our heads randomly while doing so.

I havent had any issues with the lift gate nor the kicking to activate. Inkick in/out right below where you would put the chain from a trailer (off center) and works every time.

...........I read on another site that it could be the foot activation, but I cannot even get it to open reliably let so I don't see how that would be triggering a close.
A lot of mention on this issue in the 5th gen Forum. Had it happen to me as well. IT's the foot-activated feature.

Peter

I don't have the tow package on our Limited, and have tried the kick in and out to open nearly every time without it working. Looked through the settings, don't see a way to disable the feature 100%. Not going to start messing with Forscan but may talk to the dealer about killing it.

What size shoes do you wear? Seriously, this happened to me yesterday while simply standing at the back, taking things out for a tailgate. But when I deliberately wave my foot underneath to open it, nada. I checked the infotainment setting and unfortunately it looks like disabling it also locks out the keyfob remote which I’d like to keep.

I just got my Explorer last week and it did this while at the dealership. They recommended I get an appointment with the service department to have it reprogrammed. A few nights later it closed on my kids as they were getting their backpacks out of the back. This weekend it did the same thing to my husband as he got groceries out of the back. I finally disabled the power lift gate through vehicle settings. I don't know if that will work or not but until my appointment (1 Feb) I'm hoping it will keep the lift gate from closing on people. If anyone else comes up/knows a fix before them, kindly let us know!

I just got my Explorer last week and it did this while at the dealership. They recommended I get an appointment with the service department to have it reprogrammed. A few nights later it closed on my kids as they were getting their backpacks out of the back. This weekend it did the same thing to my husband as he got groceries out of the back. I finally disabled the power lift gate through vehicle settings. I don't know if that will work or not but until my appointment (1 Feb) I'm hoping it will keep the lift gate from closing on people. If anyone else comes up/knows a fix before them, kindly let us know!

My guess is their feet are going too far under the bumper and the vehicle is activating the auto lift gate feature from their feet.

I would love to say that's it but it's not. If it comes down and hit someone it goes back up again and then comes down and repeats that process several times. And I saw where the kids/husband/my feet were placed and it wasn't under the bumper where the sensor it supposed to be. They have been off to the side. And the auto lift gate doesn't seem to work when you kick your feet under it. But if you put your hands anywhere near the license plate that seems to activate it. So fingers crossed reprogramming will do the trick.

Welcome to the Forum Heather.:wave:
This was also an issue with the 5th gen Explorer. A TSB was issued to have the sensitivity adjusted. In the meantime, helmets might be a good thing.;)
According to the Owner's Manual, it shows the sensors are in different locations depending upon whether or not you have the tow hitch. Also, disabling the power liftgate will allow it to unlatch but not power open/close.

Peter

Thank you for the welcome Peter. I'm hoping the service department can adjust the sensitivity. I don't believe there is a hitch on mine but I'll check when I go out at the end of the day.
I'll just make sure the boys wear their football helmets when getting in the back of the Explorer until this weekend. hahah

I have had it close several times and hit me lightly on the head after prolonged access to the rear cargo area and bin. Also opened several times when just walking by closely and brushing against the back bumper at the gas station and even when getting my tags put on at the dealership.

If you just do not have your fob with you. Then you can see if it is the sensor because it shouldn't work without your fob.

Had it close on me numerous times in my 5th generation and it was fairly violent. Seems like a real safety issue. Only had it happen once so far in my new one. Did notice if I had driven in the snow or stepped too close to the bumper when loading the back it would trigger. Also when parked in my garage with the door closed if I walked past the back of the truck it would activate and either open or close. Really like the open option but wish I could deactivate the closing option. Very annoying

Curious if any other 2020 owners have experienced this. While loading groceries in yesterday the liftgate closed on its own giving me a pretty good knock in the head. Once it did it stopped as it should, but I have no clue why it moved in the first place.

This was not an isolated incident, it has occurred at least 4-5 other times for different family members.

I read on another site that it could be the foot activation, but I cannot even get it to open reliably let so I don't see how that would be triggering a close.
I have a 2020 Escape that does the same thing. Dealer never heard of it before and it just happens when loading groceries.

I have a 2020 Escape that does the same thing. Dealer never heard of it before and it just happens when loading groceries.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does the Escape have the foot-activated liftgate and does it sound the chimes when you close the liftgate under normal circumstances? If it does and you hear them when it closes on you when loading groceries, it means that you've accidentally tripped the sensor. It is not that uncommon especially when you are that close to the vehicle.

Peter

I just bought a 2020 Platinum Explorer last week. This happened to me today while putting groceries in the back. My neck is still sore. Taking it in to be checked next week.

I just bought a 2020 Platinum Explorer last week. This happened to me today while putting groceries in the back. My neck is still sore. Taking it in to be checked next week.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Chances are that you likely tripped the foot activation feature.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This happened to me today and I have a pretty good bump on the noggin to prove it. No idea why - No I didn't activate the foot release. It's happened once before as well.

Back