Liftgate won't open or close | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate won't open or close

Post number 16 has been selected as best answered.

Explorinum

Reaction score
City, State
Catskills
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
I went outside to throw something [a light bag of microfiber towels] into the cargo area. Hit the button on the outside and the liftgate opened up normally.

Hit the button to close and it would not even budge a little and would just give the alert tones. Keyfob was in my pocket all along. The setting is set to open and I have never set the height adjustment nor do I use the 'kick' feature.

Manually closed it and tried again to open it with the button. Now it won't open either - it does unlatch though.

Did the manual open/close and tried it with the keyfob and the inside button also - same results - will not open but does unlatch.

Hitting the button on the liftgate will not close liftgate either.

Left the car off for an hour and tried again - same results. Moved it from point A to point B in the driveway for the heck of it and am still in the same boat.

The owner's manual only mentions obstacle detection but there isn't any.

Has anyone experienced this or have any insight as to what may be going on [or what I may be doing inadvertently (or incorrectly maybe)]?

Thank you,

Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Jay. Make sure the power liftgate option is set to ON in the settings. Did you check the fuses? Fuse #41 in the engine bay is for the Power Liftgate Module and fuse #8 in the cabin fuse box is for the Telematics control unit modem, Hands-free liftgate actuation module and Power liftgate module.
If the fuses are good, it is might be possible that the motor/actuator is bad.

Peter

I had this issue off and on for 2 days in a row. In my case the foot kick, button on the hatch, fob nor button on the dash would work. There was no appearant reason, other than bugs in the electronics. My vehicle is at the dealership to have this among many other issues fixed. Sorry I cannot offer a fix for the issue other than if your vehicle is like my St (junk) it will probably just start working again. I would advise that if it continues to happen that you try all methods to open the hatch and make a video while you do, so you have proof and it might help diagnose the problem since in my case there was no stored error codes. Best of luck!

Hi Jay. Make sure the power liftgate option is set to ON in the settings. Did you check the fuses? Fuse #41 in the engine bay is for the Power Liftgate Module and fuse #8 in the cabin fuse box is for the Telematics control unit modem, Hands-free liftgate actuation module and Power liftgate module.
If the fuses are good, it is might be possible that the motor/actuator is bad.

Peter

Hi Peter:

Thank you for the information on the fuses. They are both OK.

Jay
I had this issue off and on for 2 days in a row. In my case the foot kick, button on the hatch, fob nor button on the dash would work. There was no appearant reason, other than bugs in the electronics. My vehicle is at the dealership to have this among many other issues fixed. Sorry I cannot offer a fix for the issue other than if your vehicle is like my St (junk) it will probably just start working again. I would advise that if it continues to happen that you try all methods to open the hatch and make a video while you do, so you have proof and it might help diagnose the problem since in my case there was no stored error codes. Best of luck!

Thank you Back2Ford - I will take your advice and record my symptoms.

Hope you get your car back and hopefully it will be all good.

Jay

I had this happen once. Pulled into a parking lot and hit the button to open the hatch. Heard the chimes, but hatch didn’t open. Tried all the ways... no luck. Started the car, nothing. Shut it off...nothing. Then for some reason I thought to move the truck. Changed parking spaces and it worked fine. Have not had the issue again.

I had this happen once. Pulled into a parking lot and hit the button to open the hatch. Heard the chimes, but hatch didn’t open. Tried all the ways... no luck. Started the car, nothing. Shut it off...nothing. Then for some reason I thought to move the truck. Changed parking spaces and it worked fine. Have not had the issue again.

Hi Ruz:

I have moved it within our driveway twice since this started - same thing.

Calling for an appointment...

Jay

If you heard chimes when you tried to open it, that is an indication that there is a problem. Under normal operation, the chimes only sound when the liftgate is about to close.

Peter

If you heard chimes when you tried to open it, that is an indication that there is a problem. Under normal operation, the chimes only sound when the liftgate is about to close.

Peter
I would take the fact that I could hit the release on the dash, the button on the back tailgate, or the button on the fob and the hatch did not open as a bigger indicator of a problem...

I chalked it up as another electrical gremlin that I have come across with this vehicle.

I chalked it up as another electrical gremlin that I have come across with this vehicle.
It could also be that the actuator (motor) is not working. This might also be Explorinum's issue.

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter - I stand corrected. The chimes only happen when it was trying to close previously - not open.
I would take the fact that I could hit the release on the dash, the button on the back tailgate, or the button on the fob and the hatch did not open as a bigger indicator of a problem...

Ruz & Peter - as I said above trying to close previously.

After driving for about an hour, I needed to take some other stuff out and hit the button on the dash and voila - it opened and closed & opened and closed again.

I guess Ruz's and my gremlin are related.

That being said, now I'm on the fence about taking it on my scheduled appt day of Tuesday. I do have this on phone video but we all know what the service center is going to say...

Should I still take it in just in case or should I call them up, tell them to note this against my profile for future reference and cancel? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you again,

Jay

I wonder if it could be a loose/bad connection to the actuator/motor? I don't know if the dealer will automatically note this on your file if you cancel the appointment. The good thing is that you still should have lots of warranty period left unless you drive a lot.

Peter

Hi,
I’m new to the forum but have had Explorers on and off for a couple decades.
I just got a 2020 XLT and had the same issue. Never could get it going after it just wouldn’t work one day. Took it to the dealer yesterday and service tech said a Software issue.
I picked it up a couple hours later fixed.
It works fine now, and here is the dealer tech checklist.

8EE25359-87A3-4A88-B511-BCB84A89465F.jpeg

Hi,
I just got a 2020 XLT and had the same issue. Never could get it going after it just wouldn’t work one day. Took it to the dealer yesterday and service tech said a Software issue.

Thank you FastHarley!

Will bring this in.

Jay

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thanks for posting and sharing that info. That is likely what the cause is for the other members' issues posted here.

Peter

Update:

After checking all points/measurements/cabling etc. and being on the phone with Ford Engineering, the service dept replaced the lift gate module from another Explorer on the lot.

Not have had a problem since - fingers crossed.

2 questions arose for me:
1). Is there actually a lift gate module?
2). Why get engineering involved and not just replace it first? This I could potentially see as being OK since the voltages coming in/out were in the tolerance range - but still...

Jay

Hi Jay. Since they replaced it, I'm sure there is a module. The following is from a 2019 Sport since the 2020 diagram is not fully illustrated.
As for getting engineering involved, it may have to do with getting a warranty replacement that the dealer gets paid for.

Peter

Hi Jay. Since they replaced it, I'm sure there is a module. The following is from a 2019 Sport since the 2020 diagram is not fully illustrated.

As for getting engineering involved, it may have to do with getting a warranty replacement that the dealer gets paid for.

Peter

Peter: I'm just going to start calling you Mr Britannica... ;)

Thank you for looking into this - again...

Jay

Back