Looking for suggestions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for suggestions...

jplinville

I make knives...and invest in bandages.
Reaction score
Here, there, a little bit of everywhere...
City, State
Dayton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
Too many to list here...
2006 Explorer XLT 4.0

I recently replaced the single disc MP3 playing HU during an upgrade. Below is my list of components...

Kenwood DDX375BT
Infinity KAPPA 682.11cf front door speakers
Infinity Primus PR8602cf rear door speakers
Powered Subwoofer...prototype version that was made and tested that has yet to enter production phase. Basically it's a 10" shallow woofer and 400W bridged amp installed into a cast aluminum housing that has dual baffles. It's a very well made unit. OA dims of housing is 18" X 12" X 3.5"

So far, I have handled the installation, using Metra for proper harnesses and install kits. So far, the project has gone well, and each new piece and adjustment makes it sound better and better. The most difficult thing was disassembling the powered sub to add Loctite and tighten every screw down. The sub is currently in the footwell of the 3rd row seats. The 3rd row seats are not used, and likely will never be used, since my children are adults and gone (took 26 years!!!))

Now, I've got some minor high pitch hearing loss from working in the tool and die trade for 30+ years, which is why I went with the Kappa speakers for the front doors...their highs are crisp and clear, and I can hear them well enough, but am looking for a bit more power. Why more powa?? Because I can turn it up all the way to max, and it's left me wanting more.

Can you suggest a good quality (just look at my components and you'll see I don't do el cheapo Boss brand) 4 channel amplifier that falls around the 200-300W range. I don't want to cause deafness...Ijust want to hear the music while on the freeway with the windows down.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would first check your power ratings on your Infinity's and go from there. I recently did the exact same thing but went with budget Rockford Fosgate 6x8 front and rear. I'm utilizing a Rockford Fosgate 1000x5 amp. It sounded awesome but lacked the highs so I installed 4 1" tweeters in series with 6x8's with bassbblockers dropping load to 2ohm in turn increased power to each channel. Clarity is amazing! Infinity is an amazing speaker not really known for their amps. I chose Rockford cause my particular amp has quite a bit of adjustment so between amp and HU you can tweak to your preferred sound. If looking for a true audiophile sound look into Hertz amps. I have an older he4 model an awesome 4 channel amp. Only reason I don't use it is I like simplicity so running multiple amps was out of the question. I to had 3rd row seats. I removed mine and took advantage of the sunk in well. Decked over the rear and hid components and sub.

Kappas are rated at 100W RMS/300W peak and the Primus are rated at 120W RMS/320W peak. A 300W amp would work well, and shouldn't cause harm. I looked at the Hertz HCP 4D, and liked the 85W X4 @4ohm rating, and 145W X4 @2 ohm ratings. My speakers are 3 ohm, so they can handle the higher power with ease. I did my homework when deciding on speakers, based on past experience in the early 90's.

I've considered removing the 3rd row and do as you have...just haven't gotten that far yet. I've only had the Explorer for a month, and have been busy on other things, mainly getting it to not look so much like a 70 year old woman's SUV. Since I bought it off of a 70 year old woman, my mother, changing that image is paramount. LOL

I've got a few things to complete before I'm ready for the new amp...but doing homework prior to a purchase is important to me. My next project is rims and tires, along with a roof basket. Following that will be the 4-channel amp, then interior modifications and color changes. My wife gave me the green light to set this upthe way I want it...mainly because it keeps me from buying another full sized Ford truck. This is the cheaper route right now.

Yeah I did rims and tires first too. Then tint. Then stereo twice. Lol! Hadn't had a nice system since 96' so went Craigslist for components bought old school Orion 12's and Orion cheater amp. I wasn't happy... sounded good but not what I was after. Was too much of a bass sound. I was looking for clean and clear sound tight bass. So went with Rockford Fosgate and 1 Skar 12. Unbelievable how much different. Super pleased with the results. Never heard of Skar till stumbled upon them via web. Very impressed. Only downside is you need very high wattage amp to push them to there potential.

Oh, I can't forget that debadging and covering the chrome as being a cheap next step into it's transformation.

I bought this thing after my mother called and said she was giving up her driver's license due to macular degeneration. My wife and I decided to move back from PA to OH, move in with her, and care for her until she passes on. Since my Jeep is being bought back under the Lemon Law, I was in need of a vehicle, and mom wasn't using it anymore, so it just made sense. I just had the original plugs and wires changed...it's only got 60K on the odometer. Literally, it was a to and from the doctor, grocery store, and church for the past 12 years. She only washed it once a year, right after Winter, which she rarely drove during.

I've been looking more and more at the Hertz HCP 4D, and think that will be the one I go for when it's time. I considered a Kenwood, but the pricing for what it is wasn't where I felt comfortable with. I've even considered Alpine, based on past experience, and may lean that way, depending on what I find out in my research.

Look at the Rockford Fosgate P600x4 it's one of the siblings of my P1000x5. Very nice quality amps. Middle of the road $$.

I will. I remember the multiple Punch 45 amps I had pushing 12s and 15s in a 79 T-Bird I had. They were very good at the time.

Back