lotsa smoke & 2 melted plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lotsa smoke & 2 melted plugs

Shotguns2

Reaction score
City, State
Coal City, IL
My X is down , i got lotsa white smoke, engine shake like crazy, wont go over 35, i changed the plugs and the electrodes on 2 of them were melted away. I thought it might be a preignition or detonation problem which would melt the plugs and possibly put holes in the pistons which would explain the smoke. Has anyone else run across this problem or have any suggestions?

white smoke usually means antifreeze, so possibly a blown head gasket, if you melted to plugs, you got more problems then head gaskets, there will more then likely be rings that are gone, cause of the heat, cause plugs can withstand some heat, is the electrode melted or broke away??

Hey the only thing I have to say is about a month ago i had an engine problem with burned up plug and found the fuel injector had partially pugged up and leaned out the cylinder so bad that it ate up the plug and exhaust valve. but it sounds like eather a cracked head or blown head gasket. But be ready to buy new heads as they crack all the time.

Back