• Register Today It's free!

Plug Melting Truck Smoking!!!!

radium-

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas,nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
Hey guys I was driving down the highway the other day when my emergency brake light came on the dash, my e-brake has never worked since I got the explorer a couple years ago and then it smelt like someone was burning tires outside and then a huge cloud of smoke started pouring out from under my hood.

Horrified my car was on fire i pulled over and checked it out and it was just pouring smoke so i let it cool down for a bit and started it back up and drove it home fine and then drove it fine for a few days after that until yesterday It happened again but i was able to find out where the smoke was coming from and it appears it was coming from a plug underneath the driver side wheel well i took a couple pics to see if anyone knows what this plug is for and what would cause it to overheat and start to melt? Everytime it happens the ebrake light illuminates so im thinking it has something to do with that :(

Here is where the plug is located roughly:
5mlt6x.jpg

258xik1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the looks of that it looks like you had an electrical fire... I would start pulling things off until you found the source.. I wouldn't drive it till you do tho.

still havent got this looked it but it hasnt happened since but now my ebrake light is always on until i turn my headlights on then it turns off..... any ideas what could have happened?

do you have DRL s lights? That module does "burn up" but I don't think newer ones are located there (older models are). Of course, you checked your brake fluid level... right!!!

I agree, it looks like the DRL module. That would explain the e-brake light too, since that circuit is connected to the module.

I didnt realize 2nd gens had running lights, i have auto lights, but no running lights.....

I didnt realize 2nd gens had running lights, i have auto lights, but no running lights.....

It's an option that could have been ordered in the US. They're standard in Canadian models.

Most--but definitely not all--2nd Gens have this plug near the radiator support. If you don't have running lights, a shorting cap is installed there.

AH... And to think i had all the options available!! :)

hey i am in canada and i bought this vechile second hand and the ebrake never worked from the start and ive never had running lights before either....

well....that's tough to tell from your post "signature profile". Anyways, if it is indeed a canadian vehicle, then it must have drl's as this was law. Having said that, it might not have been working and then died further "smokefully" or was removed and the plug left exposed to the elements resulting in "smoke". As far as ebrakes, did you check you fluid levels?

hey i am in canada and i bought this vechile second hand and the ebrake never worked from the start and ive never had running lights before either....

Did you buy the vehicle in Canada? If so, it should have been equipped with DRL. Which, it was, but just wasn't working.

Your info suggests you're from Las Vegas, NV, USA.

Looks like you're probably going to have to cut that plug off. Once you do you can splice in a pigtail harness from Ford and install a replacement module.

Alternatively, you could install a universal DRL kit and splice into the wires there, since they're already in one place for you.

this happened to me yesterday, secolnd drl module but this one almost went up in flames.
i was in the drive threw, then i pulled intop a shady spot and my lights come on automatically then i seen them flicering in the tailgate of the truck infront of me. so i mess with the mfs switch a bit then there fine. All of the sudden smoke starts pouring out from the drl module, stupid me trys to grab the plug and rip it out only to result in a bunch of plastic melted to my hand.
i pulled the drl module fuse and drove it all day, when nite time came the lights came on again and same thing happened. so i unplugged the lights and nothoing has happened since.
But im having a problem with my MFS switch in the normal position it says the brights are on then when i push it forward they go out?
complete opposite of whats supposed to happen.
any ideas on what caused this|?

any ideas on what caused this|?

i think you answered your own question.

stupid me trys to grab the plug and rip it out only to result in a bunch of plastic melted to my hand.

this had to contribute to your problems .not help them.

Back