• Register Today It's free!

Loud and rattling exhaust

Tommylee1282

Reaction score
City, State
Manville, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford explorer xlt
So I bought a 99 ex 4.0 sohc about 2 weeks ago when I got it the only problem was a rough idle and some loose exhaust mounts...so I changed the air and fuel filter did an oil change couldn't get the old filter off just figured I'd get it next change as it looked quite new and the oil looked like it had maybe 1k miles on it. I changed the spark plugs and the iac valve and it was running pretty good but didn't have that much pickup so about a week goes by the exhaust started getting a little loud and the engine started idling rough....I pop the hood and a spark plug wire is bouncing around near the boot it slides right off and the connector is fused to the spark plug...so I change the wires and that plug but now the engine has no pickup and the exhaust is very loud and rattles...i gave the muffler some wacks and it made a rattling noise not so much from the cats...so I'm assuming I need to replace at least the muffler but wanted to get some suggestions or tips from you guys I plan on doing this myself since I can only afford the parts so I'm looking to do this without welding

So I cut the old muffler off and tested the car pretty sure that was the problem so got a new muffler and clamps the old muffler was one pipe in and one pipe out the pipe in forks into two pipes so looks like I need to go to Home Depot and get another metal saw and cut some more to make this fit

Back