1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Lower radiator Hose

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Explorer2011, July 27, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Explorer2011

Explorer2011 Member

City, State:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 Explorer V8
    How HARD is it to replace the lower radiator hose? its weird because i was driving for 15 mins went to store and came out and saw Coolant leaking from bottom hose i drove home got out and didn't see anything else... got a better look at hose and at ends it looks really bumpy and not smooth like hoses are so seems like i need to change the hose out.. i was doing alittle research it was saying you have to take off belt and everything else to get to hose?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. albi1cnobi1

albi1cnobi1 Elite Mountaineer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    South Jersey
    99 Mountaineer V6 4x4
    No you don't need to remove the belt, but removing the fan is a big plus. You don't absolutely need to remove the fan but it's much easier without it in the way. I have an electric fan so that's not an issue, just reach right in with clamp pliers an off it comes. The bottom clamp is an easy job from below. If you're flexible you might be able to get the top clamp from below as well.

4. Explorer2011

Explorer2011 Member

City, State:
    Pensacola, Florida
    98 Explorer V8
    Yeah, i seen the bottom clamp get to that easily after taking off the cover from the botton that hides the drain plug.. i just wasn't sure if it was possible to reach from below to the other end of the hose but i'll try it.

5. albi1cnobi1

albi1cnobi1 Elite Mountaineer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    South Jersey
    99 Mountaineer V6 4x4
    You can pull the fan and shroud in about 15-20 mins if you want to go that route. Remove the 4 nuts holding the fan, remove the shroud and fan leaving the pulley on the water pump. Then put the nuts back on loosely to hold the pulley while you work. Installation is reverse. Only 2 bolts on the shroud.