• Register Today It's free!

My Brown Wire Mod - 1995 xlt

dustinjorge

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
I'm posting for feedback on my plans... I'm pretty sure everything is the way I want it, but hopefully if I fudged up somewhere you guys can call me on it.

I'm attaching the plans I drew for what I want to do. The only real question I haven't been able to answer is whether or not I need to put together a dummy load for the 'off' state to avoid any flashing 4x4/cel lights.

I plan on doing this mod within the next couple months, so I'll update this post with photos of the install/finished product.

What do you think? What would you do different?

Attachments

• brown-wire-mod.jpg
    brown-wire-mod.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,288
  • brown-wire-mod-wiring.jpg
    brown-wire-mod-wiring.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,133

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think the idea with the led's would be really cool looking..i wouldnt put as much time into it but more power to ya..it will look cool when its done..i want to see pics of the finished product

i think the idea with the led's would be really cool looking..i wouldnt put as much time into it but more power to ya..it will look cool when its done..i want to see pics of the finished product

Thanks! Yeah I like to overkill things sometimes, especially with my truck.

Looks good!

And i thought i went all out with a on-off-on chrome toggle. the 95 and 96 x's really benefit from the bmw. Its worth puttin a lil extra toward it. Keep us updated

Thanks for the feedback! I've spent a ton of time on the plans for this this week, and made some serious modifications to the plans.

1) The switch panel I originally came up with just has no good mounting point, and it also doesn't solve the problem of where to put switches for roof lights, backup lights, fad switch etc... so I came up with the current idea: A replacement console tray + a switch panel that mounts in the console (basically where the coin holder is now). I've attached the plans, the material will be mirror finish stainless steel for both the tray and the panel.

2) The wiring diagram above puts all the current rating requirements on the switches, which would be fine but the selection of keylock switches for +10A DC applications is minimal and I don't want to settle... so the wiring for the BWM itself has changed a bit to use 30A bosch style relays to handle the current and allow me to use basically any switch I want to.

Attachments

• brown-wire-mod-wiring-relays.jpg
    brown-wire-mod-wiring-relays.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 932
  • console_tray.jpg
    console_tray.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 875
  • console_switch_panel.jpg
    console_switch_panel.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,505

Just an update. spoke with one of my clients (a sheet metal company) and they're going to make the tray and switch panel for me. Made some mockups today which show the dimensions for the switch panel being a bit different than the drawing above... So I'll post the finalized drawing once it's complete.

Going to pull the trigger on switch panel and tray fabrication next week. The material will be 20 gage 304 stainless steel.

Also have switches and relays on the way. These are the switches I chose: http://www.amazon.com/10PC-Round-Ro..._2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1333168733&sr=1-2

These are the key switches I'll be using to lock the tccc and front axle disconnect switch circuits: http://www.rocketelectronics.com/products.php?product=Key-switch,-DPDT,-low-profile,-4-amp

Prob going to use these leds so i don't have to worry about soldering on the resistors. They will be used in conjunction with the tccc and fad circuits and will definitely be in the switch panel and possibly also in the dash. http://www.plasmaled.com/5mm8mmled.htm

This is the panel mount usb charging slot that will go on the face of the switch panel in the console. http://www.3brpowersports.com/PanelTAPP.htm

I'm pretty excited about this project. I'll keep updating as I get closer.

You don't need a relay for the BWM. A 25 or 30amp switch will do the job just fine. I've been using one for years with no problems.

You don't need a relay for the BWM. A 25 or 30amp switch will do the job just fine. I've been using one for years with no problems.

Thanks. I want to be able to lock the tccc switch circuit into auto/manual mode as shown above (to avoid "what does this switch do" issues). The problem I ran into is that the selection of key lock switches for +10A 12vdc applications is super limited.

My solution is to use a couple relays to handle the heavy stuff then my switch possibilities are greatly increased. It's a bit more wiring but worth it to me to be able to use the switch I want.

One place i'm really unsure: I've added a dummy load so the gem thinks it's still controlling something when i'm in manual mode. I did this because i want to avoid any flashing cel or 4x4 light. Is this necessary? Anybody have experience with this on a 95/96?

I have a 95. No lights of any kind. The only problem i even had was when someone had accidentally hit the switch her bag. It drained my battery and my truck didn't start the next day.

I have a 95. No lights of any kind. The only problem i even had was when someone had accidentally hit the switch her bag. It drained my battery and my truck didn't start the next day.

Very cool. Did you ground out the BW at all or just leave it as an open circuit?

Left it open.

Good deal, thanks that saves me an unneeded headache.

Finally making some progress... hopefully will get the switch panel completed and brushed over the next couple weekends...

This replaces the coin holder in the center console.

picture.php

Well, finally got some time to do some soldering this weekend... pretty happy with the result... it's close to finally being in the truck. Long time in the making, that's for sure.

switch_panel_lit.jpg

switch_panel_lit_2.jpg

Damn that looks nice. And definately has taken some time. My bwm switch has been repurposed for my electric cooling fan since my electric t-case has been swapped for a manual case

That is awesome!:D only problem i can forsee: how are you going to remember what all those switches do?! haha

Thanks guys. The current plan is to draw up some vector based icon decals and find a vinyl guy to cut a sheet of them for me from flat black vinyl for the labels. Though truth told I won't get around to that for a while.

Finally

IMG_20130428_134023.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back