My explorer is toast fellas | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My explorer is toast fellas

well today i was on the highway and there was fluid coming from the back of my truck and all the cars behind me had there windsheild wipers on, haha, anyway the transmission starting acting wierd then it just stoped working it wouldent shift at all, all it did was rev it would not shift into OD whatsoever so i had to pull onto the side and i sat there for 2 hours waiting for a tow truck i looked under the car and there was tranny fluid everywhere under the car and all over the back, right now its sitting at a transmission place, does this sound like i blew the transmission? or is less serious

Transmission for a Mustang rather an a tranny for an Explorer from the factory? I thought that Mustangs had AODE's and 4R70W's? Your A4LD is smaller than the one for a Mustang and V8 Explorers.

Huh? have you ever seen a Mustang tranny? There small as all heck. I don't think that Ford put a Stang tranny in your truck, and the answer to you speed, it's all in the gear ratios in the axle. I did read somewhere that the Explorer tranny is actually a very popular swap for other 4x4s, the Manual trans I think.

Derekjeterkid2

The A4LD transmission used in your truck is the same one they used behind 2.3L 4 banger mustangs. The larger mustang Transmission AODE/4R70W only fits behind 5.0L V8 (302). It will not bolt up to your 4.0L. So whoever is giving you information is interpreting it wrong.

By the way, I had the same problem with my my Fullsize Mustang transmission. (AOD) Was driving down the road in Overdive, and all of sudden I saw fluid and smoke spewing behind my truck........everybody behind me was covered in ATF. When I got out, my whole truck was dripping w/ ATF. I put a couple quarts of spare ATF in there and drove to the nearest town (after I cooled it down) When I got to the repair shop I had five quarts left in the whole tranny max!
This all happened when I had my explorer loaded up, as I was relocating to a different state.

Back