Need help asap!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I Bleed Blue

Reaction score
City, State
NorCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 5.0 2wd LSD
So guys the time has come where my on the fly transfer case motor has died. Went to go play in the mud today and went to drop her in 4wd and nothing happened. Checked both fuses and the 15 amp fuse under the dash had popped, replaced it and nothing. I was eventually going to convert to the manual t-case but didnt want it to be right after I bought her. So I guess the question comes down to which t-case do I need to convert to manual t-case? Ive heard that it is the one out of the ranger but I want clarification before I go pull one out of a truck. Also there is an explorer on craigslist right now that has a blown motor but the manual t-case, will that one work?? (was supposed to be going wheeling tomorrow but unless something magical happens looks like I'll be missing out) Any help is much appreciated!!!!
(Also mine is a 5 speed and the possible donor is an auto if that matters)

The Explorer or Ranger will work. To my knowledge the BW 13-54 did not change significantly. I would expect the Explorer to be the easiest swap donor.

Convert the one you have to manual, for free!
Remove the shift motor, open it up, remove the big gear wheel, put it in your glovebox.
When you want to shift into 4x4, grab the gear, slide under you truck from the driverside, put gear on the little nub where the motor was, and turn by hand to shift the T-case.

I did this for a few years until I found a manual case. You could do this as a temporary measure so you can wheel tomorrow.

There is a similar product available called the Shiftster that does the same thing, but for the price difference I like RangerX's idea :D

Back