New Throttle Body - What's Missing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Throttle Body - What's Missing?

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
Well, i just received my "never installed" Edelbrock/BBK Throttle Body (bought on eBay for $150 - eBay is your friend, right?). The seller stated that he bought it for his 95 but totalled the truck b4 he could install it.

Well, it looks like it's in great condition but smells of combustion and there's a bit of residue at the IAC bypass valve, so i think it had been used, but not for long. However, it came without the bypass valve gasket, water bypass tube (?), the (2) M5x30 TPS screws and the (4) M6x35mm Throttle Body Screws.

What is the water bypass tube and where does it go? Can i reuse my oem bypass valve gasket (if equipped)? For the bolts/screw, do i need these to install it correctly or will the factory bolts/screws work?

TIA for your assistance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds used to me. You'll need the gasket and those screws for sure. The bypass tube I assume is the thing on the bottom.. your stock throttle body has one and you can just reuse that tube if you want (might be too big though). You can use the TPS screws from your stock TB. The factory bolts MAY work.. it's worth a try at least.

It did come with the main gasket, but not the bypass valve (IAC) gasket. The tube on the bottom is the vacuum line, and i see no other area where a tube could hook up. I'll try it and see if it bolts up and go from there. Before i get into it, what would M5 and M6 be in regard to bolt size? I'm going to pick up some bolts before just in case...

huskyfan23 said:
Sounds used to me. You'll need the gasket and those screws for sure. The bypass tube I assume is the thing on the bottom.. your stock throttle body has one and you can just reuse that tube if you want (might be too big though). You can use the TPS screws from your stock TB. The factory bolts MAY work.. it's worth a try at least.

I'm :confused: - you said that i need the screws 'for sure' but i can reuse the stockers??

I'll got to AZ tomorrow and try to find the bolts indicated on the instructions and go from there. I was going to return the part but have decided to just try it out. We'll see...

My TB didn't require a bypass valve but wouldn't the gasket be the same as the IAC gasket? About the bolts, you can reuse the TPS bolts but I wouldn't reuse the stock TB mounting bolts.

Was this setup for an Explorer? If not, you will need to modify the throlle linkage for pull forward. The Mustang t-bodies are setup for pull backward (or in Mustang, pull toward driver's side). You will see what I mean when you go to connect the throttle cable. The 3/8" tube on the right side of the body, sticking up is a vacuum port. Just put a vacuum cap on it. Re-use your IAC and new gasket.

Finally, hope you have better luck with the BBK than I did. After modifying for the throttle and connecting, I was VERY displeased by the whistling sound it made. I ended up replacing with an Accufab within a week, due to the annoyance. Accufab is much more expensive, but MUCH higher quality.

Good luck.

Todd

Sorry! I just saw this was for a V6. The throttle and vacuum port probably do not apply.

Do u remember if your gasket was a thin, pliable {but not foldable), composite-like material? It's not any kind of rubber/poly, which i guess i was expecting it to be.

huskyfan23 said:
The bypass tube I assume is the thing on the bottom

Isn't the tube at the bottom of the TB a vacuum tube? Also, i think the "bypass valve" Edelbrock refers to is actually what we know as the iac (?)

huskyfan23 said:
My TB didn't require a bypass valve but wouldn't the gasket be the same as the IAC gasket? About the bolts, you can reuse the TPS bolts but I wouldn't reuse the stock TB mounting bolts.

Don't even recommend temporarily using stock TB bolts? I want to test this thing out before i commit to NOT returning it...

As far as the gasket goes, on the instructions it seperately mentions a bypass valve (iac?) gasket AND a throttle body gasket. If i remember correctly, I've got one full gasket that actually DOES cover the entire thing, including the iac valve hole, but i am concerned b/c it mentions them as seperately being part of the kit. There's also a black TPS bushing (?) mentioned (which looks like it may already be installed around the "nub" where the tps sensor aligns itself on on the TB itself)

F-IT - i'm going to install the damn thing and see where it goes from there.

Thanks guys

The IAC gasket can be cut out of cardboard. The TPS bushing is on your stock TB so you can pull it off there if you don't have one.

The BBK one I had only came with 4 longer mounting bolts, a new main gasket, & a new IAC gasket. The instructions said to reuse everything else from the old TB. And you can use the stock bolts. Just be carefull not to over tighten them since they are a little shorter.

thanks Jason - do you remember what the IAC gasket looked like? I'm going to take a pic and show what i've got in a bit. My TB is really a BBK but sold as an edelbrock (BBk is stamped as usual, but edelbrock added a plate with their logo on it) The instructions that came with it were written on edelbrock letterhead - not sure if they added/removed anything different from BBKs how-to.

I'll be back...

25243BBKTB2004_1230AB.jpg

25243BBKTB2004_1230AE.jpg

The gray ring looks like it could be the TPS bushing, but it isn't black. It also looks like there is already a black bushing inside the tps "knob" already:
25243BBKTB2004_1230AG.jpg

25243BBKTB2004_1230AL.jpg

"What "should be" inside: (blurry, i know)
25243BBKTB2004_1230AJ.jpg

Ok, well, upon further review, the brass nozzle at the bottom of the TB is the canister purge hose...how do i remove this connector?

Why do you want to remove it? Pull the hose off your stock TB and put it on the new one.

It's not as easy as that...the not-so-flexible purge hose is factory-rusted on there and i cannot get it apart...not to mention that the nozzle on the new TB seems much smaller that the oem...take a look - right in the center of the pic at the bottom side of the TB and compare it to the brass colored nozzle in my first pic - this is what i'm talking about (not sure if your 94 is any different that my 96):
25243DSCF0001.jpg

ALSO, i cannot get those damn TPS screws off so, once i figure out the purge valve/hose release, i'm going to have to grind off the screw heads and replace them

One good came of this debacle - at about 4 this afternood, when i gave up on the tps screws, i was able to install my new KKM instead in about 20 minutes. NICE SOUND!

I had to buy a smaller hose when I got my BBK as the stock was bigger. Just grind the TPS screw heads off or use some pliers to unscrew them.

Remove all the other stuff, and remove the retaining clip on the hose. The metal part will not come out of the TB...it is one unit.Do a search for the part number but you have to buy a part from FORD that couples the vacuum part. You then stick this little plastic piece in the hose end so that you can put a small hose from the new TB to the vacuum hose. Try not to break the retaining clip when removing it . I did.

Get an impact screw driver for those TPS screws. I think it may even say to use one in the BBK instructions. I used one when i had my old BBK. sold it since and am wishing i had kept it. Oh well, you will like the TB.

Not about to buy an impact driver for the install and don't have one to borrow. I figure, as long as i can find the screws i need at autozone (that should've come in the box) i'll just drill out the heads, remove the tps, wrench out the remaining screws and replace them. Probably a good time to do the TPS mod/adjustment (if needed)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boy am i getting way ahead of myself...i cannot even get the accellerator cable off of the lever...tips & suggestions? EDIT: Nevermind, a little PB Blaster got the clip unfrozen

In regards to the extra parts needed, I found this in a 2-year old post. Can someone verify that this is, indeed, what is needed for a complete install?

The "instructions" from BBK says that to complete installation, "a short piece of 5/32" vacuum tubing and Ford part #N802484-5100" will be needed for the emissions/vacuum connection on the bottom of the Throttle Body."

Now, the thread went on to say that this vacuum coupler could be found at autozone and such...what are the odds that they'd have it? I'm still not sure what it's trying to accomplish here - is it basically combining two different size vacuum lines? Can this be done by just cutting the end (connector) off the stock hose and finding tubing to clamp between the two? EDIT: No, i've determined that this cannot be done and will need to contact ford for the part no. above

I've got to replace my EGR valve today and was going to stop at AZ before i get to work on it. EDIT: Didn't get to AZ - will go when i get confirmation of the above part no.

Back