Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Well folks, I finally got it done! Keith and Rod came over tonight to help me put my BBK 66mm TB on. It took us a good two hours. Most of that time spent on the TPS screws and trying to find parts that ran off. It's a pretty easy project. Edelbrock/BBK provide ALL the parts needed and very good instructions.

I feel this gave me about the same gains as when I first installed the K&N. Improved throttle response (instant!), and about 5 hp (maybe). I'll wait to see about MPG. Hopefully my computer wont "re-learn" the gains away.

Next project: Headers!

BTW, I don't think I would have this benefit if I wouldn't have all my other performance parts: install everything in order as to not bog down the engine.

Goodnight,
Alec

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah those TB's are pretty sweet huh? I love the response... and being able to sqeak my tires now and then.. :)

nick

your tb

Alec, where did you get the tb and how much did you spend. I've seen them around, but for the money, it seemed like a big expense for little gain. Did you increase you mass air as well?

Eric

I got my TB through http://www.truckperformance.com. However, BBK did have a long backorder, and a "real-world" shop probably has more pull getting high-demand parts. It was a nice chunk of change ($200), but I think it was worth it, especially when I get my headers on. I did not increase the mass air. Many members say that it doesn't help much. Ford actually rates the stocker good to about 300 hp. If you've done the filter, chip, and catback, go for the TB, along with plans for headers. Getting a larger TB before the other mods will bog down the engine due to vacuum effects.

Definatly dont get the TB right off the bat. Do other mods first. However, It helps if you can get your intake bored out some... occording to BBK/Edelbrock anyways... the TB is slightly larger than the upper intake. Oh well. Its still kicks butt!!! Like I said... right after I put that baby on... I haul off the line now.. (for an explorer!) Youll see me with a big smile after I squeak my tires a little. hehe.

nick

Originally posted by Alec
Most of that time spent on the TPS screws and trying to find parts that ran off.

How do you determine the appropriate TPS position? I would assume that you check voltage on one of the wires, but which one?

Thanks!
Graham

it only goes on one way...with the electrical connection towards the firewall. Just line up the screw holes...and tighten them down.

exactly

Alec, I couldn't find this BBK TB on the site anywhere. Could you let me know the part #?

They don't make them for your SOHC.

No Shaun, I have a 98 OHV.

they might not have it listed after 97 due to the release of the SOHC, just get one for a 96 or 97.

Found it! For anyone who wish to get it. It's here!

Hey Alec what would it take to get headers in. Would you have to pull the engine out and put them on and would the headers be the same for an OHV and a SOHC. Thanks man

Johnny,
In short, headers are different for the 2 motors, but JBA now has a SOHC set. You don't have to pull the motor but install is a PITA.

Next time, please please please Dead Link Removed
as this has been discussed many times before.

The V8 explorers with Gt-40P intakes and Gt-40 heads come with a 65mm throttle body that is good for high performance V8 applications. Putting a 66mm TB on a stock 4.0 is not worth the money, unless you have a HIGH-Perfprmance air guzzling engine like Alex. Liek he said..... the stock one is good up till 300 HP.

Good Luck,
Al

well, no.

I think the stock 4.0 OHV MAS (95+) is good to 300 hp. The TB makes a noticable difference on a motor with a few other bolt-ons. If you have other intake and exhaust work, a TB will help. On an early OHV (91-94), an aftermarket MAS would help also. The larger TB also works well with chips.

Having just completed the installation of a BBK 66mm TB in my 1993 XLT, I'd like to throw in my $0.02.

My XLT is *slightly* modified:
Brushguard (1995)
Steering Column Shock Absorber (1995)
HyperTech Chip (2001)
BBK 66mm Throttle Body (2002)

Everything else about the truck is stock (V6, A4LD, etc)

I did notice an improvement with the HyperTech chip - it firmed up my shifting and moved the shift points up a couple hundred RPMs. City driving performance was definitely improved. Worth the $300 investment? I think so.

When I installed the BBK Throttle Body I picked up a noticible gain in off-the-line engine response. Fuel economy seems good, and my exhaust seems to sound a little deeper (this is possibly just psycological).

All in all, I'd have to say that the HyperTech Chip + 66mm TB upgrade results in a noticible performance improvement for stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers. Just make sure you run 93 octane & keep your injectors & fuel system clean.

Cheers!

-Graham

Graham,
You'll notice much better gains if you modify the air filter and the catback exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back