Reaction score
City, State
Lake Worth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005,Explorer Limited
Callsign
Miamicracker65
I have a 2005 Explorer Limited 4x4.
I have a new, well charged battery. I turned the key and the only thing that works are the instrument cluster lights. I hear no sound of a stuck starter solenoid. I had it looked over by 3 mechanics, while it was parked at my house, (no fancy computers were used to diagnose it.)
We checked codes, fuses, Connections, unplugged the battery, to reset the pcm. But we still can not diagnose the problem!
One guy mentoned that the pcm needs to be reflashed to match my ignition key?
Pep Boys never heard of that. Is this something I can do on line?
Meanwhile, my vehicle sits in my driveway now for 10 days. I've been on u tube, Ford advantage sites but to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks guys! ( and ladies too)
ChefJames
The Miamicracker65

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you need a more competent mechanic. Is the theft light flashing when you attempt to start it? Did anything happen before this started?

If your key needs reprogrammed, you'll need to go to a dealership or most locksmiths can do it. Do you have a second key? Did you check the battery cables with a multimeter?

Did you check the gear shifter to be sure it's hitting the neutral safety switch? Try starting in neutral?

Yes. One mechanic mentioned that already. The synopsis came to that...
"My PCM needs to be reflashed as it is not recognizing my key?"

I think you need a more competent mechanic. Is the theft light flashing when you attempt to start it? Did anything happen before this started?

If your key needs reprogrammed, you'll need to go to a dealership or most locksmiths can do it. Do you have a second key? Did you check the battery cables with a multimeter?
I checked the connections at the terminal posts. I have to look for my second key. There was no previous indications of a failure on its way. I'm probably going to have to tow it to the Ford Dealer. I have AARP roadside assistance so it will be covered.

Let me check the red flashing theft light.
The mechanics checked the "theft" light on the instrument cluster and it is not lit.

Our theft light is on the dash not the instrument cluster...

You can program your keys with ForScan way cheaper than having the dealer do it.

Back