Solved - 04 Mountaineer no start/no crank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 04 Mountaineer no start/no crank

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

joeyd0730

Reaction score
City, State
queens, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 mountaineer
04 4.6 mountaineer
I was driving the truck turned on the fogs and it just shut off, at the same time it shut off it said check fuel cap in messanger center, followed by low oil press at this time the truck already stalled, I tried to start it again twice and it just cranked both times. got to the side of the road and it no longer cranked, turn the key and it does nothing, all accessories and dash is lighting up as normal, battery is fully charged

I do notice the pats/security light ontop of the dash is staying on when the key is turned to the run position, it is not goin off as it should, another issiue is that I cannot connect to the pcm via the obd2 port. there is +12v at pin 16. I am leaning towards a fried pcm. I swapped the key tranciever with my buddys of mountaineer and same issue. my transceiver did work in his truck..all fuses are good, grounds are good.
any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you load test the battery or just check it's surface charge? What was it's reading?
Sounds like a dead battery.
Seems that there's been more people having PATs related issues recently too.

Did you load test the battery or just check it's surface charge? What was it's reading? Sounds like a dead battery. Seems that there's been more people having PATs related issues recently too.
Battery have been tested. No communication with pcm.

issue resolved, pcm burnt out, there is a place here in ny that swaps them with one that has been tested and re-programmed to match your key and vin. total cost $250

Thanks for the followup joeyd. It's okay to give a shoutout to the shop that got you going again. Others may need that info down the road. :thumbsup:

Back