• Register Today It's free!

no start after wreck?

TheGaginator

Reaction score
City, State
midlothian, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 ford explorer xlt 4x4
My 92 sploder got sploded this morning on the way to work. Tboned someone. I got everything hooked up right I think but it won't start. I bypassed the inertia switch already and I'm getting fuel. Maybe no spark? Anything you guys can think of? Ill post pics in a bit. Im going to the junk yard tomorow to start gathering parts. I just hacked off my front end

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why did you bypass the interia switch? Just reset it.
Can't imagine how its not getting spark unless the ground got damaged.

Why did you bypass the interia switch? Just reset it.
Can't imagine how its not getting spark unless the ground got damaged.

Just in case reseting it didnt work and it was easy enough to just jumper the connector. Since that didnt help ill just put it back the way it was. Is there a Ignition box like the older style fords have?

20120910_074511.jpg

20120910_094043.jpg

20120910_094048.jpg

20120910_162209.jpg

20120910_181559.jpg

i was trying to start it in this picture so i rigged it up
20120910_185515.jpg

what is this?
20120910_185642.jpg

what is this?

yes i cut the front end off with a recip saw. guess ill have to do the same at a junkyard and weld it on? idk im pretty upset i love my explorer

That EDIS is an ignition module, i may be mistaken but i believe it stands for "Electronic Distributorless Ignition System". Anyway, as long as it is plugged up and not crushed, it should be ok. It looks like the wiring harness is intact. Pop a spark plug off and the coil and crack it over and listen for it to arch while you are cranking.

Ok ill try that. The edis module is dedinately damaged. Its warped pretty bad. Ill pick one up tomorrow.

Ya might want to look for another sploder less sploded so you can transfer the good parts you have left from the sploded sploder. Probably be a lot less work in the long run.

Why are you even spending the $ to fix it? You can find plenty of X's in running shape for under $1K.

i dont plan on fixing it. i just wanted to make sure the engine wasnt damaged so i wanted to here it run. If i dont just swap the parts into another explorer like i planned, then i will tube the front end and turn it into a toy i guess. my local junk yard has been closed the past 2 days so i havnt been able to get that edis module. im not buying it from a parts store its like $200

Back