Overheated Explorer, need help or engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overheated Explorer, need help or engine

LoKo498

Reaction score
City, State
J.C.,N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
This is what happened with my 02 XLT & now might need a new engine.
I was a idiot, I forgot I had only water in my radiator. It was about 10 degrees below zero with the wind!

I started my truck (02 XLT 4.0 V6) and was waiting for the heat to come on. It never did so I just drove it about 5 min down the road. Meanwhile it's been running for about 15-20 min now.

I get to my destination and see the radiator hose blue off & everything is frozen.

I try to add some real antifreeze but this is not working. I let the truck cool down and reconnected the hose to the radiator.

I head back to my location about 5 min away & the truck is not making it up this hill, the check engine light goes on & the overheating light I believe also.

I get it towed back to the shop and they said all it needs is a new water pump which was destroyed.

2 weeks later I have the timing chain noise & changed out the tensioners and nothing.

It won't move much, I dont think it goes over 1000rpms.

I changed all the spark plugs which were really dark & it still drives really bad.

Im not using this at the moment, just move it for the street sweeper every few days.

Sorry for the long story.

Any ideas on this besides a replacement engine?

Im in NJ if anyone has a donor engine! 8 digit on the vin is a "E" for a matching engine.

Back