Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Power Stearing issue

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by tjrtmaster, July 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tjrtmaster

tjrtmaster New Member

City, State:
      Greensboro, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      In the process of replacing the front rotors on my 96 Explorer 2WD the front of the vehicle was jacked up off of the ground and I turned the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right to gain access to the rotors. I turned the wheel with the engine off. I noticed that some power steering fluid had sprayed out of the reservoir cap and onto the battery and fender. When I was done with the rotor job I started the Explorer and when I turned the wheel I noticed an oscillation in the steering. I jacked the front up again and got the same oscillation with the tires off of the ground (engine running). I turned the engine off and turned the wheel (tires still jacked up off of the ground) and it turns easily and power steering fluid sprays out the cap.
      Should the power steering fluid have sprayed out of the cap when I turned the wheel with the motor off?
      Any idea what could be causing the oscillations when I turn the wheel with the engine on?
      Thanks
      Tim

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. exp999

exp999 New Member

City, State:
      rockland, ny
      1996 XLT
      Never turn the wheel with the engine off. To correct all you need do is bleed the power steering.

Simply turn the wheel with the engine on a full turn left to right, right to left a few times. Don't forget to check your steering fluid level and top off if needed.

4. tjrtmaster

tjrtmaster New Member

City, State:
      Greensboro, NC
      Fixed

Thanks,
      I added a little power steering fluid, and drove it for a while turning the wheel a lot and the problem went away.

Tim

5. my98nnj

my98nnj Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boonton, New Jersey
      1998 XLT
      Typical FORD power steering system. Scared the crap out of me after I did some front end work and headed down the highway. Talk about a violent shake OMG!!!!

6. chapsdeva

chapsdeva Active Member

City, State:
      Richmond, Va
      2015 Limited
      This has happened to me many times, but man it does startle you if you are not expecting it...it is one violent shake!!!!!