Power Stearing issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Stearing issue

tjrtmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
In the process of replacing the front rotors on my 96 Explorer 2WD the front of the vehicle was jacked up off of the ground and I turned the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right to gain access to the rotors. I turned the wheel with the engine off. I noticed that some power steering fluid had sprayed out of the reservoir cap and onto the battery and fender. When I was done with the rotor job I started the Explorer and when I turned the wheel I noticed an oscillation in the steering. I jacked the front up again and got the same oscillation with the tires off of the ground (engine running). I turned the engine off and turned the wheel (tires still jacked up off of the ground) and it turns easily and power steering fluid sprays out the cap.
Should the power steering fluid have sprayed out of the cap when I turned the wheel with the motor off?
Any idea what could be causing the oscillations when I turn the wheel with the engine on?
Thanks
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never turn the wheel with the engine off. To correct all you need do is bleed the power steering.

Simply turn the wheel with the engine on a full turn left to right, right to left a few times. Don't forget to check your steering fluid level and top off if needed.

Fixed

Thanks,
I added a little power steering fluid, and drove it for a while turning the wheel a lot and the problem went away.

Tim

Typical FORD power steering system. Scared the crap out of me after I did some front end work and headed down the highway. Talk about a violent shake OMG!!!!

This has happened to me many times, but man it does startle you if you are not expecting it...it is one violent shake!!!!!

Back