• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering SsShHhAake

gto78

Reaction score
City, State
stuart, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 2wd v-6
Has anyone else had a problem of the steering wheel and tires shaking so badly that you can't even focus on the tire because it's moving so violently from left to right? I had just replaced the front wheel bearings, and while the truck was on jacks I turned the steering to make it easier to reach the bolts for the caliper. I did NOT start the engine when turning the steering. After I restarted the truck, it was very hard to turn the steering wheel. ALSO, if I turn the steering wheel and hold it about 90 degrees and steady, the pump sounds like a machine gun and the front wheels shake violently. I asked my cousin whos an ASE Master and mainly a chevy guy, but he told me that explorers are notorious for doing that if you turn the steering wheel with the engine not running. It is airbound. Now to cure it I believe I just need to turn it stop to stop a few times and let it sit overnight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all new about 6K miles ago

To fix this on mine, I took it to a parking lot, and slowly did figure 8's, lock to lock, that got MOST of it out. Took about a week of normal driving until it was all gone. Just make sure the reservoir is topped off too, or you''ll suck more air in :(

Had the same problem after my truck had been towed when the fuel pump died on me, its most likely air in the line. Daff's suggestion should fix the issue.

I'm having the same problem with mine....One thing I did notice is that I have a p/s leak on my return line and possibly air in the line...My mom's buick century had the same problem a few months ago and it was cured by fixing the leak. My recommendation, cheack ur p/s for air in the lines...

Same exact thing happend to a T.......same repair being made and same result......to solve that problem I took all of the old fluid out of the resivour and replaced it with LUCAS power steering treatment. It worked fine..... the only thing that i didnt like about it is that when its really cold out the power steering is a little bit tight but its no big deal.

Heres how to do it if you want
1. take out all the fluid you can from the resivour
2. steer the wheel left and right dry
3. there will be more fluid now.....take that out
4. now add the LUCAS power steering treatment
5. to fill it the rest of the way use regular power steering fulid.......new fluid, not the stuff you took out.

Also you guys with the explorer 5.0 v8's doing this will reduce the famous "ford power steering wine"
I had a 1991 F 150 5.0 before this truck and it totally took the sound away

also, I noticed that you live in FLA so the tightness after a cold start in the winter probably doesn't even apply to you. It only happens to me below 40 degrees and only for a few minutes befor the truck warms up. And I live in new york

Back