Problem with DRLs and gauge cluster lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with DRLs and gauge cluster lights

05 Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Slidell, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I just noticed yesterday that my DRLs were not on while i had my headlights on. I figured i may have blown a fuse, so i checked it, and the fuse looked fine but i went ahead and replaced it anyway. Well, still no DRLs. So get back in my explorer and realize my gauge cluster lights are not on either. So again, i check the fuse, and it looked fine, but i still replaced it. And just as before, they still didnt work. I was thinking that my headllight knob/switch is going out?

Im hoping someone could possibly tell me whats wrong or if anyone else has had this problem before. Any suggestions?

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I don't have DRL's so I can't speak from experience. I am a little confused though. :scratch:

You said your DRL's were NOT on with your headlights on. They are not supposed to be.

From my shop manuals:

The daytime running lamps system operates the low-beam headlamps at a reduced intensity. The DRL module supplies pulse width modulated (PWM) voltage, 80% of battery voltage, to the low-beam headlamps when the following conditions are met:

• the multifunction switch is in the neutral position
  • the parking brake control is released
  • the headlamp switch is not in the headlamps ON position
  • the ignition switch is in the RUN position
  • the autolamps feature has not activated the headlights

Can you please verify?

Back